Chapter Eight: The Journey Begins

The departure day dawned clear and cold. The air bit into Ren's face as she made her way down to the beach in the early rays of light, accompanied by Kerra, Elliott, and Trevonna. Laric and Hunter were already there, out on a pier that Ren hadn't noticed before, preparing their boat – an old-fashioned wooden sailboat, around twenty feet long, with a small cabin. Laric had explained his plan to the group the evening before. They wanted to keep their journey secret from Graf Corvus for as long as possible, so they weren't using magical methods of transportation, which could sometimes leave traces, and in any case couldn't get them out of the kingdom, and they weren't traveling by air, which would require them to share their identities. More importantly, airport security wouldn't allow them on board with their arsenal of weapons. Instead, they would sail across the North Sea to Hamburg. Laric had sent a message ahead to the German magical royal family, the Dannebergs, and they hoped to visit and confer with them to gain more information and form a plan to work against Corvus.

As Ren, Elliott, Kerra, and Trevonna strode down the pier, Laric and Hunter leapt out of the boat and met them. Ren surveyed her companions. They were all dressed in layers for harsh weather, although Hunter was in a kilt, and Kerra was wearing black combat boots that had, at least, chunky medium-height heels instead of her usual stilettos. All of them were armed to the teeth after a long session of choosing weapons in the castle's armory the evening before. Ren had her favorite broadsword, which had a roughly hewn amethyst fastened into the end of the hilt, Elliott had a bow and quiver of arrows strapped across his back, Kerra had a lethal-looking battle-axe propped against her shoulder, and Hunter and Laric had broadswords as well, although Ren spotted Hunter's claymore resting in the boat behind him. All of them had a variety of dirks and smaller knives sheathed on various body parts, and Kerra had even stuck one thin knife through the bun at the top of her head. Each person carried a pack, stuffed with clothes, blankets, non-perishable food, and first-aid materials.

Laric turned to Trevonna. "We discussed what to do. Prepare the castle and the village for attack. Make sure Ren's anti-gun task force keeps meeting, and train as many fairies as possible with weapons, or whatever magical means they may be able to fight with."

Trevonna swallowed and nodded.

"You know what to do if neither Kerra nor I return."

Trevonna nodded again. "You will come back. Both of you." Her gaze swept around the group, pausing on each face in turn. "All of you. This mission will be challenging and dangerous, but I know what each of you are capable of. Yes, Elliott – even you. You overcame a powerful enchantment to chase down your sister on the other side of the world. And you, Kerra – you followed your heart to find the place you belong when you came here. Ren, Laric, Hunter – each of you has proven yourself time and time again." A strong wind blew in off of the sea and wisps of Trevonna's gray hair flew around her face. "I can only offer you my best wishes for your safe return, and that the strength of the dragon will carry you through your journey."

It was a pleasant day to sail, with quiet waters, and within a few hours, they had passed through the strait between the mainland and the Orkney Islands, and Ren was thinking that sailing wasn't so bad. In the past, she had found herself susceptible to seasickness, but the little sailboat was so smooth that she felt nothing of the sort. When she mentioned this to Hunter, he laughed.

"The Baines family constructed this boat. They share the blood of seals, so boats they build are exceptionally nimble, smooth, and fast in the water."

Ren laughed in amazement. "How did I ever live without magic?"

"Ach, lassie, careful, magic cannae do everything," said Hunter with a smirk.