19 - *Remember me?*

Chapter 19 -  Remember me?

Chapter 19 - Remember me?

"You think that was a smart move? Angering him like that?" Bill asked as he walked up to a thoughtful Ophelia. Her eyes fixed out of a window in the Checkpoint as she watched small skirmishes happen between Thanos' forces and Korbins out in space.

"If Midnight's intel is accurate, we are royally screwed." Ophelia explained, turning to walk next to the tense warrior beside her, "Thanos has a never-ending army of cybernetically enhanced soldiers. If we're gonna win this, we gotta make him slip up."

"By pissing him off?" He questions incredulously.

"I've been told I'm pretty good at annoying people," Ophelia smirked to herself, earning an eye roll from the huge Korbinite. Just as she was about to continue, an ominous ring echoed through the base, sending shivers down her spine.

"Talk to me Deedee, what's going on?" She shouted into her comms, sprinting to the engine platform of the base.

"The main force has been deployed. Thousands of ships are headed straight for us and they don't seem to be slowing down." Daera relayed from her place in the armoury, the faint sounds of whirring spaceships could be heard in the background.

"How are our defences looking, Centurion?" Lord Aesir questioned from High command down in Korbin.

"With Delacour's intel, we know we can use high-grade EMP's to fry most of their weapons systems. Our first response squads are clearing up scouts pretty well but with the main force coming we need to send them back up."

"Very well, we've reached the point of no return." Aesir sighed, a heavy weight settling in his stomach as Thanos loomed over his world, "Send in the vanguard."

His command reverberated through the entire planet, millions of frontline ships already on patrol in Korbin suddenly shot straight up. Waves upon waves of the Legion's space fleet effortlessly slid into formation as they prepared for the battle of their lives.

Coming to a stop in the dimply lit engine platform, Ophelia looked down to see the core of the planet's defences. A writhing ball of pure blue energy surrounded by eruptive beams of crackling light, shooting up with lethal efficiency.

Hundreds of other soldiers milled around the platform, their bodies tense as they heard the beginnings of war brewing. Stoic nods were exchanged between Ophelia and her new comrades, every soldier there willing to lay down their lives in defence of their world.

"If any unknown sets foot in this room." Bill grimly said, his voice grave as he turned his attention to the dozens of warriors around him. "Shoot first. And don't bother to ask questions."

"Sir, yes sir!" They shouted out in unison.

"You're the one with the guns Billy." Ophelia lightly sighed.