17

Clay's POV

"She tortured me."

The sentence echoed in Clay's head as he struggled for a response, "She―she tortured you?"

Sapnap's lips thinned and he nodded, his fingers tapping incessantly against his chair as he looked around anxiously.

"For how long?" Clay asked quietly.

Sapnap thought for a moment, his expression grim. "I-I don't know exactly. A long time I'm guessing, until I was ready."

"Ready for what?"

"To become Nihachu's informant."

"So you're a spy, like Bad?" Clay asked, his face turning cold.

Sapnap shrugged. "Better. I'm here to do what Bad couldn't."

"Well you failed."

Sapnap glared at Clay, "Well I didn't expect you to be here, let alone the fact that you and George are in a relationship."

"That changes things?" Clay asked, a small flicker of hope growing in his chest.

"Yeah," Sapnap admitted, "it does."

Clay nodded slowly, "So... you could ditch Nihachu and L'manberg. Eret and her are both imprisoned here. She can't hurt you anymore."

"You don't understand."

"Actually, yeah I do―I do understand."

Sapnap studied him. He huffed out a sigh and muttered, "It doesn't work like that. I can't come back to Emberfall."

"Why not?"

Clay knew he was pushing Sapnap, but he needed to know.

"I can't just― I can't just leave," Sapnap replied hesitantly.

"Why? You're safe here. In Emberfall you don't have to live in fear."

Clay knew he said the wrong thing because Sapnap stiffened and his gaze hardened.

"I don't live in fear," Sapnap said defensively.

Clay paused, studying Sapnap's alert expression. He said, "Okay. So you don't live in fear. How do you live then? Where and with who?"

"That's none of your business," Sapnap stated harshly.

Clay sighed, leaning back in his seat. He missed his chance. Sapnap was bordering himself up again. Clay crossed his arms, giving Sapnap a blank stare.

"I'm sorry," Clay said reluctantly, "I didn't mean to be so intrusive."

Sapnap tapped his finger against his chair impatiently, replying, "You're just curious... I am too."

Clay didn't respond, causing Sapnap to sigh and continue, "Fine... I was Nihachu's informant for many things. Mainly to travel to Emberfall and Kinoko Kingdom and find out information. That's what I was tortur―trained for. To infiltrate and report back to Nihachu."

Clay didn't miss his word choice, "Trained?"

"Yes," Sapnap responded, his lips tugging down in a frown.

Clay realized something, "Nihachu has been locked up for a while now, so who gave you the order to kill George?"

Sapnap's gaze narrowed. "I can't tell you that."

Clay sighed and ran a hand through his hair. "Please tell me. Sapnap, you can leave Eret and Nihachu behind. Come stay here with me and George."

Sapnap looked at him curiously. He shook his head and blinked, seeming to clear his thoughts. "No... I-I don't think so."