Chapter Thirty-Seven | Offer

"WELL, I MUST admit, that was quite riveting."

Vivienne turned her gaze towards the Captain, "Huh?"

"I was speaking about the play, Lady Vivienne," he clarified.

"Oh yes, it was excellent." she replied, absentmindedly.

She was telling the truth, for the most part. Vivienne had been enthralled by the play. The story was compelling, and she felt the emotions the actors were portraying. The stage called to her in a way she thought was not possible before tonight. She could see herself in another life wanting to visit the theatre everyday to explore new stories.

Only everything had spun on its axis once James left. She had not been able to focus on the stage or the storyline anymore. Instead, she spent time worrying as to what happened to the duke and why he looked so troubled before his departure. James was rarely fazed; it must have been quite the ordeal for the worry to become apparent on his face.

They exited the private box and Vivienne nearly stumbled into Lady Cobham headfirst.

"Pardon me," the lady said, as Captain Gronow picked up the fan that had fallen from her grasps.

She surprisingly thanked the captain, before her gaze turned to Vivienne.

"Good evening, Lady Cobham," Vivienne said politely.

Lady Cobham gave her a small smile as she took in the pair of them. "Did you enjoy the play?" she asked.

"Very much so," Vivienne said quickly. "If you'll excuse us, we must be off now."

They exchanged nods and left each others company. Vivienne was not aware of where she headed, only that she clutched onto Captain Gronow's elbow as he led her through the crowded theatre. She sighed in relief as they finally made their way outside to the line of carriages waiting.

"This way," the captain led her to a modest carriage near the end of the line.

Vivienne slipped in, with the captain following behind her. She noted the interior of the carriage was not quite as plush as the ducal carriage. It was not covered in a luxurious fabric, nor did it boast intricate designs inside. However, it was not as terrible as some of the hackneys she had seen. Captain Gronow rapped his fingers on the roof of the carriage, and they began moving.

They were silent for a while until Captain Gronow spoke. "I hope you enjoyed the evening my lady."

"Very much so," Vivienne replied.

The captain smiled, "I am glad to hear that."

There was silence once more, a contrast to the atmosphere before. Vivienne looked up to see the captain fidgeting with his pocket watch. "I must be honest with you Lady Vivienne. I will be returning back to service very soon."

"Oh," Vivienne said softly. She was surprised to find that she was disappointed by the news. The captain had been kind to her, reducing the loneliness she often felt in ballrooms and other soirées across London.

He cleared his throat, "That is why, Lady Vivienne—may I call you by your Christian name?"

She gave another nod and he smiled at her, his moustache twinkling. "Then you must call me Rees."

Vivienne brought a gloved hand to her lips to stop herself from giggling. She had not known that his name was Rees, it made him seem much too normal.

He took her gloved hand and Vivienne inhaled sharply, as an uncomfortable feeling grew within her. She looked outside the carriage, removing her hands gently from his grasp before clasping them together. The last thing Vivienne wanted to do was offend him. There was no escape in such a small space, so she was forced to listen to his words.