18

Clay's POV

"Where's Wilbur?!"

Clay snapped out of his daze as George walked into the room. Clay blinked, confused, and set Patches on the ground.

"Wilbur? I don't know," Clay responded.

It had been two days since his conversation with Sapnap. Clay knew he told Sapnap they would talk, but he was procrastinating.

George let out a loud sigh of frustration. "He has missed the last three meetings! Where is he?"

Clay shrugged. "Is this a bad thing? Wilbur― not to be mean but... well actually never mind― to be mean... Wilbur is a dick. Why are you complaining that he's gone?"

George's lips tugged into a smile. "Clay, he's the Head of the Royal Council. Wilbur has never missed his duties like this before."

"I'm just saying... shouldn't we be celebrating?"

George shook his head, fighting back a smile. Clay admired him. In the past two days, George has started looking healthier. His cheeks were naturally flushed with color, instead of the previous dull color. His eyes were alive and happy. Clay was looking better himself, but he never really focused on himself.

"This is actually a problem," George said as his smile faded, "Lots of things have gone wrong or out of order. Wilbur is in charge of sending scouts, managing servant routines, and giving commanders their schedules."

"Don't forget the job I assigned him." Clay added with a smirk.

George rolled his eyes and grinned, "And of course... Wilbur also has to make sure the weekly cartload of manure from the horses in the caste stables is sent to the fields."

Clay laughed and George crossed his arms, smiling as he said, "I still don't understand why you deemed that necessary for Wilbur to be in charge of."

"Oh come on now," Clay smirked, "you know exactly why I did it... Wilbur is shit and, therefore, he should deal with shit."

George laughed. "You're such an idiot."

Clay grinned. "You love it."

George sighed and shook his head. The door to the room opened and Karl walked in, a broad smile on his face.

"Are you guys ready?!" Karl exclaimed.

"For what?" Clay and George asked in unison, sharing a smile.

Karl clapped his hands, "To talk to Sapnap! Remember?"

"No... because you never told us?" Clay said in a question.

"Come on guys!" Karl complained, "You have been putting this off for too long."

"Why are you so excited?" George asked.

Clay snorted. "Karl has a thing for Sapnap."

Karl's jaw dropped, his face heating as he protested, "I do not!"

"Whatever you have to tell yourself." Clay said with a shrug, "But I always know where to find you when I'm looking for you."

George raised an eyebrow and looked between them, a smile growing on his face.

Karl crossed his arms, defeated, "He's nice! Besides, he needs a friend."

"A friend suuure," Clay teased.

Karl shook his head and rubbed the back of his neck. George let out a laugh at Karl's flustered state.

"C'mon guys," Karl grumbled, "enough stalling. Let's tease Sapnap instead!"