15.

Song recommendation: Twin Size Mattress by The Front Bottoms
-
Styles has been gone for one week.

I have been completely on edge for one week.

Horan has been pissing me off more than ever for one whole week.

His comments have been digging into me more and more. He brought up how I lived in a dump, and how I was such a perfectionist. This was so much more than a rivalry between co-workers. This was so much more. Whatever sort of feelings we'd developed for each other had quickly changed into hatred.

The worst of it was at Styles' goodbye party. We were at Horan's house having drinks, making small talk. Everything was going well for the moment. I was talking with Lieutenant Payne's girlfriend Maya when Horan tapped my shoulder.

"Excuse me." I said to Maya before turning around. "What do you want?"

"Come with me." He led me up the stairs to his office. I don't know why he had an office. Sounded like something a pretentious snob like him would have.

"Why am I in here?" I crossed my arms.

"I was bored last night and I did some digging for apartments near the precinct. I think I found one for you that would work on your salary." He clicked on the computer.

"Why are you looking at places for me?" I frowned. "And why were you looking at my salary?"

"I was just curious."

"This isn't something you need to help me with." I shook my head sternly. "I'm an adult, I can do this myself."

"Obviously you can't if you haven't moved yet." He chewed on the inside of his cheek.

"Would you mind just staying out of my personal issues? Thanks." I went to leave.

"You get riled up so easily." He scoffed. "It takes nothing to piss you off."

"Or maybe it's just the fact that you've been pestering me endlessly for months." I pointed a finger into his chest.

"Well if you would stop being so indecisive I'd be able to get some sleep." He wrapped his hand around my wrist.

"I have no idea what the fuck you mean." I said through clenched teeth.

"I think you know exactly what I mean." He was breathing heavy, clinging to my wrist as if he didn't want to let go.

"I couldn't be more set in my ways." I assured him with a hint of anger behind my words.

"You need to stop leading me on like this Carter." He threatened, but I thought that maybe I heard a bit of plea in his words.

"Or else what?" I glared right through his baby blue eyes.

"Or else you'll leave this house with a black eye, or maybe a hickey. Your choice."

"You make me sick."

"Make a choice Carter." He moved his grip from my wrist to hold my hand, he brought the top of my hand to his lips and kissed it gently before looking at me with a smirk. "I'll be waiting for you when you do."

He left me in that office, with so much shock inside me that I couldn't move. I was stuck in place. The light from the window blurred my vision. I couldn't believe what had just happened.

I had a choice to make.

One week later, I still hadn't made that choice.

"Detective Carter?" Malik stepped out of his office.