Shattered Mind | Part 2

Chirp, chirp.

Rays of sunlight found a way into the room, filtering through the cracks in Ahsoka's blinds.

The bleary-eyed Padawan forced herself to sit up. As she did so, Ahsoka slowly rubbed her hand across her face, trying to stay awake. Her head turned as she stared out the window. A smile formed on her lips. A real, genuine smile. Apparently, nature had a calming effect on her; perhaps it was simply because she had a tie to it, having spent three years of her life on the lush, scenery-covered planet of Shili.

It's so innocent, in a way. The plants and animals and have no need to worry about anything besides survival. They don't have to think about daunting everyday tasks, demeaning classmates, or truckloads of homework. That was none of their concern.

The sun's warm rays extended a greeting, letting the surface of Coruscant bask in its glorious light. Ahsoka could hear the birds chirping, forest animals calling and the rustling of leaves. She smiled, more at ease than she'd ever been since walking into Anakin's life.

Anakin. The Clone Wars... Kyrena.

The mere thought of Baldot and her friends was enough to plunge the Togruta's cheerful mood into a freezing ocean of degrading, pessimistic thoughts.

Sometimes when you're in so deep, it feels easier to just swim down.

Swim down. Ahsoka had decided long since that today, her fingertips would graze the sea floor, officially bringing her suffering to an end.

But what about Anakin?

Ahsoka's mind retreated into its dark, cynical shell, her vivid past abruptly resurfacing.

"You're worthless!"

"Nobody likes you! I pity Master Skywalker to even have to be near you, much less live with you."

"How much pain are you going to cause everyone before you experience it yourself?"

"I sure hope my words sting, for this is how your Master feels every day to live with an abomination, a mistake!"

The tears she'd cried that day welled in her eyes once more. She didn't notice them slide down her sullen cheeks. She didn't notice them drip onto her blanket. It was as if that horrible day had never ended. No matter how hard she tried, Ahsoka simply could not erase the past, or the pain it brought her.

At least I can relieve Anakin of his pain today.

The digital clock on her nightstand read 6:15 am.

Good. I still have some time before Anakin gets up.

She wasn't going to wait any longer. The sooner she leaves, the happier everyone else will be.

As Ahsoka opens her closet, she yanked out the largest carry-on bag in she could find, beginning to stuff all of her clothes, toiletries and credits inside. Jedi aren't supposed to have so much attire — formal dresses especially — but Padmé often gifted them to the teenaged Togruta, insisting that one more wouldn't hurt.

What do I do with the dresses? Leave them? No, that's not right. Padmé spent so much on them for me as a gift, it'd be rude to leave them here. Besides, that would give Anakin the impression that I'm coming back.

Ahsoka allowed the first tears among thousands of others to free-fall down her cheeks.

I'm not.

After folding the dresses into neat squares, the teenaged Togruta scanned her closet one final time. Satisfied that nothing remained, Ahsoka quickly got dressed in her favourite long-sleeved mahogany crop-top, black leggings and combat boots, along with her x-shaped belt resting on her hips, twin lightsabers attached to both sides.

Soundlessly, Ahsoka cracked open her bedroom window, and just as she prepared to hoist herself on top-

Until a blinding warning suddenly flashes through the Force, an unforgettable, devastating scenario permanently painting itself in her mind.

Anakin. He collapsed to his knees, luscious brown locks fanned across his face, hiding his horrified, tear-soaked expression as his gaze once again swept over a sheet of paper. "No... Snips..."

The warning cut as swiftly as it came.

Part of Ahsoka begged her to stay, desperately pleading with her to avoid the unavoidable. She refused. She couldn't stay; not anymore. Her guilt overwhelmed her, gnawing at her from the insides. Ahsoka loved Anakin deeply; her fragile mind wouldn't be able to take his suffering without cracking. She couldn't let him worry.

He'll miss me, but he won't need to worry. I'll be safe.

The Togrutan Padawan sat down at her desk, taking out the black notebook once more. As she opened it to a new page, her neat, cursive writing flew across the page, blotches of tear stains beginning to litter the paper. For every word of farewell that Ahsoka Tano wrote, her heart crumbled a little bit more. She let her emotions run wild until finally, her signature appeared at the bottom of the page. As she set her pen down, the sixteen-year-old scanned the room one last time before jumping out the window and into the city below.

***

7:30 am

That morning, Anakin Skywalker woke up dubious. Something was terribly wrong, but he couldn't place it. "Morning Snips, rise and shine!" He called, stepping into Ahsoka's room.

No response.

To his terror, it was empty.

***

A/N: Final part coming soon! It's already a couple hundred words in. I'm just gonna leave this here before one of you manages to kill me for wrenching your hearts in half.

Also

My band teacher has got to stop putting up assignments for us to play on impromptu dates. He said there was only sight reading this week, which I did, then my friend tells me there's another assignment. Oh my god. My parents told me not to do it because it was too late but I did it anyways. I'm probably in big trouble. I would not like to find out.

Anyways!

I need to be up at 6:30 am tomorrow morning for choir and I'm tired. I also have a test, so peace out!

- Jazzy