52 Flowers

Charlie~~

The garden shop is up near the conservatory, outside of the more developed part of Somnia. I pull into the parking lot, having chosen to take my car for its trunk space. There are only five other cars in the lot. The shop occupies its own plot of land with a greenhouse attached to the back. Though Dad has no reason to be watching this store, I do a sweep for any mics or cameras when I walk inside. I find none.

Moving through the small shop, I check for Nora in the aisles but don't find her. She never told me how she plans to get here. I've been assuming the subway. One aisle is full of gardening supplies. Another seed packets. I move to the back where the greenhouse with potted flowers is located.

I spot petunias and begonias before I come to the chrysanthemums. Listening to Nora describe her and her mom planting them, I couldn't picture my own mom and myself in their place. Maybe that's only because she left my life so soon. Maybe if we had had more time, Dad would have let us plant them somewhere in the woods that I know surround the facility. The glimpses I've caught of them when the lobby doors open are the only reason I know they are there. Those doors are my only glimpse into the outside world.

The door chimes and moments later, Nora steps into the greenhouse. She freezes when she sees me, as if she's startled. Her eyes narrow before she moves off toward the mandevillas.

I turn my focus onto a cart of succulents, some are pointy, others look like twigs. Some have a blue and purple color that reminds me of a bruise. Nora actually looked displeased to see me, and though I know it's only an act to be safe—that she's good at lying with not only her words but her actions as well because I've witnessed it—her glower still leaves a pit in my stomach. It reminded me too much of what her feelings about me were only days ago.

I select a yellow succulent that looks as if it's made out of puff balls and walk down the row in front of hers.

"Nora." There's a bit of joy in my voice that I know shouldn't be there.

She turns away from a mandevilla plant she was admiring, her light blue eyes meeting mine with a touch of what I'd almost call tenderness before they harden.

When Radia was taken by Dad, I read her file. She was studying to become an actress. Perhaps that should have been Nora's calling as well.

"There aren't any," I say, meaning the mics and cameras.

Her shoulders relax, and her eyes soften. "Hi."

"Hi, Nora." I balance the succulent in its small pot in the palm of my hand. "I don't know if the others work for him." My eyes flick to a patron entering the greenhouse. The woman glances at us, and Nora offers her a smile and turns back to the mandevillas, the petals of the plant her hand hovers over are a shade of pink that reminds me of the fairy floss in my circus.

Touching one of those petals, she muses, "It's as if we were lovers having an affair."

I nearly choke, the pot in my hand wobbling. I have to grab it with my other hand to keep it from falling.

The patron side eyes me before moving to the back of the greenhouse.

Nora glances over her shoulder at me. "Everything all right?"

"Yep." I set the succulent down on the table beside the geraniums, trying to force out the images of us her words brought forth.

There's something devious in her eyes that says she knows exactly why my words were a lie, and I become convinced she's trying to get me back for not telling her she was in a dream and that I've become trapped in a very drawn-out plot for revenge.