Chapter 58

Esmeray was dressed to impress.

It wasn't everyday that you had to have dinner with your (potentially) future mother-in-law who had already tried to suck your power out twice and was fine with murdering her granddaughter.

"So Hayley's not going to be at dinner?" she asked when Klaus came to get her. "Fuck. Maybe I should just stay upstairs."

"She's making sure that Marcel's witch completes her task," said Klaus, offering her his arm. "I'd rather like for you to be there. Perhaps she may have something to say about her intentions for you."

"Excellent," said Esmeray, adjusting the straps of her dress before allowing him to escort her down.

At least she wasn't the only one annoyed by the fancy attire Elijah had stated as a requirement. "Are these outfits really necessary?" asked Klaus, gesturing to what he and Esmeray were wearing.

Elijah nodded. "Appearance is a way of showing respect, Niklaus. Mother will be more likely to surrender her true intentions."

Klaus huffed. "Well, I doubt her guard will drop just because I'm dressed like a bloody lawyer."

"You're a hot lawyer," said Esmeray pointedly, waving her hand around the room to light every candle at once.

Elijah half-smirked, as if thankful for her encouragement, but not about to say he agreed with her statement, because he'd never hear the end of it if he complimented his brother that way. "We need every advantage we can get, Niklaus."

Klaus shrugged as he pulled out a chair for Esmeray. Since he would be sitting at the head of the table, he'd chosen for her to sit at his immediate right, while Elijah would be on his left. Three empty seats remained on the other end of the table. "You always did excel in diplomacy, brother," said Klaus. "Just know, if she tries anything, I'll tear her new body to pieces."

There was laughter from the doorway, and they turned to see an unfamiliar man there, apparently jeering at them. "You two haven't changed a bit!" he told them as he stepped forward, looking at Elijah first. "Linens and silk to disguise your pathetic self-loathing." He then faced Klaus. "And you— despite the arrogant facade, you're still the same paranoid little boy, full of hate and fear."

Esmeray gave the man a cheeky smile while the two brothers' expressions dropped, clearly offended. "Wow, Esther, you certainly look different than I expected. I trust I don't need to introduce myself."

The man gave another hearty laugh. "I always did respect you, Esmeray Poldark. But I am not Esther."

"Forgive me," said Elijah, stepping forward. "I don't believe I've had the pleasure."

"Oh, you mean you don't recognize me?" asked the man. "So much for the unbreakable bonds of family, huh? Always and forever indeed."

Klaus scowled at him. "It's been a long time, Finn," he muttered angrily as Elijah and Esmeray stared at him in shock.

Finn spread his arms, smirking wide. "Now that the introductions are out of the way, let's eat!"

The servers took this chance to start coming around with wine. Klaus and Elijah looked highly displeased as Finn sat beside the second eldest brother, looking at Esmeray as if expecting her to say something.

"I am surprised to see you here, Esmeray," said Finn. "I've heard great things about your work with the wolves. It's admirable, what you've done to help them. I can't imagine why you remain glued to Niklaus's side."

"Well, Finn, I don't think it takes a genius to realize that sometimes, when you care about someone, you like to be with them," she said, waving for the server to not pour her any wine. "Sage was loyal to you for nine hundred years and relished at the chance of being with you again. Why judge me for my devotion? Would you judge her for hers? I don't blame her. Sometimes love is just that powerful."