29

"Life has a funny way of proving us wrong

"Life has a funny way of proving us wrong..."

"Listen Nixie, I am not going! It's been months since I've seen Illia or Alana. I'm going to spend the rest of this year and next just with them. At least." I flopped into my armchair, "I've spent plenty of time on land with you."

Nixie sat in the opposing armchair, "It's my wedding Astrid. It's important."

"Not to me!" I stood and walked to my bed, "I don't want to witness you doing a human mating ritual. That's your business."

"It's not a ritual Astrid, it's a tradition."

I squinted, "Aren't they the same."

She huffed and stood, "Astrid! I want you to be there."

"Why? I have no desire to watch you go through that."

"Because." She walked over and sat on the bed, "You're the closest thing I have to my family and it's tradition for family to be there to support you."

"Ask Illia. She'll happily go."

"Illia is a great friend, but you're practicaly my sister." She stood and grabbed my hands, "Please?"

I looked into her eyes. She pouted her lip, "Pretty please?"

I rolled my eyes, "I'll consider it."

She grinned and jumped up, "Yay!"

"That's not a yes!"

Nixie was already running around the room gathering her things, "It's not a no!" She said before slamming the door.

I sighed and leaned my hand against my forehead. Frustration looked out of me and it built up until I kicked the side of my bed.

That didn't make me feel better, so I decided to go for a swim.

I didn't even bother changing out of the day dress I was wearing, I just pulled it off at the base of the beach and jumped in.

The cold water cocooned around my body, quite literally cooling me down.

This was where I was meant to be.

Instead of the short swim I'd normally take, I spent the better part of the afternoon exploring the foremost water by the beach.

When I was ready to come out of the water the sky was an inky blue color, and when I scanned the beach I saw a small party of teenagers who were laughing and stripping their clothes, running to the water about a hundred feet from me.

I pulled my body out of the water, shaded by the night and pulled on my dress.

The night air warmed my water-cold body as I walked up the stairs to my room.

I stripped and threw on a night dress.

As I lay my head down on my pillow, I only had two days before I'd leave this place.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

"We've got to buy you a souvenir so when you go back you won't forget about us." Calliste had my arm pulled snugly through hers, as if I'd run away toward the ocean at any moment.

She held up a knitted top, "What about this?"

I scrunched my nose, "Absolutely not. We don't wear clothing in the ocean Callie, that's a human thing. And besides, why do we have to do this right now? I still have all tomorrow before I leave."

"We're doing this now because tomorrow I am trapping you in my room and we are going to talk until we can't breathe any longer." She held up a chunky beaded necklace.

"No, the waves would knock that away in a second. I don't see why you care so much, you'll see me sometimes most likely."

She left the stall and led me to the next, "Seeing you once or twice a year is not the same as seeing you every day. I'd like to say a long and proper goodbye."

"You'll have Nixie." I pointed out as she held up another necklace.

I shook my head and she moved on, "Yes, but I won't have you. And as a spoiled lady I want both of you."

I laughed and pulled her toward a small bracelet, "What about this?" I showed her.

"Oh Astrid, it's perfect." She turned to the vendor, "How much?"

The vendor- an old lady -smiled sweetly, "For you two? Not a dime."

Calliste frowned, "I can't take it for free, please, let me compensate you."

The lady kept her smile on, but took a moment of silence just staring into Calliste's eyes, "Alright young lady, but I don't want money."

Calliste beamed, "Of course, whatever you'd like."

"In," She tilted her head side to side, "three hundred and twenty two days, I'd like to meet your baby girl."

Calliste pulled her head back and furrowed her brows, "But I don't have a baby. I'm not even married yet," A nervous laugh escaped.

I smiled at the old woman as she shrugged, "When you recover enough from birth, I'd like to meet her." The lady turned to me and her coy smiled widened, "A siren." She purred, "You have an unusual future, not typical for one of you."

I chuckled nervously, "My prediction better not include a baby."

The lady leaned back and gave a throaty laugh, "I can't see into what's that uncertain my dear," She gave a sure smile and leaned close, "From you, I would like to meet the person most important to you on the next full moon."

I raised my eyebrow, "I'll be home by then. It will most assuredly be another siren."

She tilted her head, "So sure? Nevertheless, I'd like to meet him." She turned around and dissapeared behind another vending cart.

I turned to Calliste, "Hold on, did she say 'him'?" I raised my hand to my forehead, "Quick when's the next full moon?"

Calliste was staring forward with a blank expression, eyes wide with her hand held over her stomach, "Baby?"