Chapter 15

A wave of relief washed over her once Korra stepped in the room again.
"Sorry it took so long." She said and sunk back down into the sofa, crossing and resting her legs onto the coffee table.

"Who was it?" The words slipped out of her mouth before she could stop herself. Asami didn't mean to be nosey, but whoever Korra was on the phone with seemed to make her a little stressed.

The movie remained paused but Korra stared at the frozen frame.
"Opal."

"Oh, is something wrong?" Asami asked and slid her laptop to the side.

Yes there were many things wrong with the situation at hand. Korra had questions, so many questions that she wanted to ask. She shook her head.
"No, she said something about visiting m- our parents in a few weeks."

Asami could tell that the woman was lost in a sea of her thoughts, almost going over board by the looks of it. Her hand curled around the stem of her wine glass and she slowly rose up from the sofa. Stepping over Naga and with one foot in front of the other, she made her way over to Korra and held out the glass towards her. Blue eyes examined the gesture before Korra took the glass in her own hands. Perhaps a drink might calm her thoughts.

"Thanks." She said and brought it up to her mouth. Without realising, her lips enveloped around the lipstick stains that were already on there. Korra took one sip, which then turned into a gulp, then a chug.

Asami giggled at her enthusiasm and sat herself down beside the officer.
"If you're not careful you'll chok-"

And as Asami warned her, the wine flowing down Korra's throat had gotten itself stuck. Her blue eyes widened when the fluid went down the wrong pipe, making her whole body shake as the coughing started.
"Are you okay?" Asami quickly took the glass from Korra and gently rubbed her back as the officer hunched over.

Korra coughed a few more times.
"Yeah I'm fine, drank too fast."

Asami chuckled and continue to soothe Korra's coughing fit.
"You really went for it." She said.
"Are you sure you're okay?"

When blue eyes met green, Korra flashed her best smile.
"Positive." Her brown hair bounced as she coughed a few more times into her elbow, hoping that it would clear her airways a little better. It did.

Asami still had her hand rested on the officers back. She patted it a few more times, her palms feeling the muscles contract with every cough.

In Korra's renewed silence, only her eyes glow as she stared back at Asami. The taller woman suppressed a giggle from escaping as she noticed something dark on Korra's lips. Korra rose a brow.
"What is it?"

The giggle was let loose, Asami tapped her index finger against her mouth.
"You have a little something..."

The lipstick from the wine glass had latched itself onto Korra's mouth, darkening it slightly in the centre. Korra wiped her sleeve across her mouth, hoping that it would clean it, but it only made it worse. Now the dark colour was smudged across her chin.

"You just made it worse." Asami laughed again.
"Here let me get it." Her delicate hand rose towards Korra's face. The officer kept her eyes forward into the concentrated stare of Asami: feeling the softness of her palm against her cheek. She was so careful, as if Korra was made of glass so fragile that only a small press would shatter it into a million pieces.

Asami's thumb grazed underneath Korra's slightly parted lips, gently rubbing at the red smudge. Korra's skin was warm against her touch, her arms prickling up with goosebumps with each stroke of her thumb against her chin. It took a few more strokes until the stain finally disappeared.