19

Clay's POV

Wilbur...

It was Wilbur the whole time.

When Sapnap had told them that yesterday, Clay didn't believe him at first, and neither did George.

Wilbur, the Head of the Royal Council. One step down from being King. He was so high up in the ranks that no one had ever suspected him. No one would even think to suspect him.

Wilbur, who had served Emberfall for almost six years, moved through the ranks almost as fast as Clay and Sapnap had.

Was he a traitor the entire time? Or had it just been a recent thing?

Clay didn't know, all he knew was that Wilbur was a traitor and now missing.

Now that Clay noticed, Wilbur had disappeared right after Sapnap failed to kill George. He left without a word, no evidence of his absence. He didn't even take anything with him.

Nihachu and Eret were still locked up, so Wilbur's mission wasn't to get them out. He clearly wanted George dead, but why?

Nihachu had ordered Bad to kill George, she probably told Wilbur the same thing, but...

Wilbur was smart. He probably had an ulterior motive, one that Nihachu hadn't considered.

Or Clay could just be jumping to conclusions.

As soon as Sapnap had told them, Clay and George left immediately, leaving Karl and Sapnap to talk. They had called a meeting and informed the Royal Council. No one in the Council believed them at first, but soon enough everyone was chipping in their suspicions and theories.

Clay had always thought Wilbur was a creep and too touchy, but he didn't think that meant he was an enemy. However, Wilbur was suspicious when he constantly interrupted important conversations with something else. Or when he sent that one group too far into L'manberg. When the group of 12 scouts were slaughtered because of his instruction.

The thought made Clay's stomach churn. This whole time...

Wilbur being a traitor was almost worse than Bad. Wilbur was so high up in ranking, he knew so much information. So much private knowledge that now was in L'manberg's hands.

After the meeting with the Royal Council, Clay called a meeting with the commanders and informed them. They were all shocked. Clay ordered them to inform their men and to organize patrol groups throughout the city. He also had a few troops hang wanted posters in the city, so all of Emberfall would be on alert.

There hadn't been any sign of him yet. It made the whole castle nervous. Everyone was on their toes and constantly paranoid.

"Clay?"

Clay snapped out of his thoughts as he looked at George. George gave him a concerned look and sat next to him on their bed.

George placed his hand on Clay's knee and rubbed softly with his thumb. "Do you want to talk?"

"Not really," Clay muttered and rested his head on George's shoulder.

He wrapped his arms around George, pulling him close. George leaned into him and the two sat quietly, listening to each other's breathing.

"It's just― everything is unraveling," Clay whispered after a moment.

George sighed and muttered, "I know. I think that was Nihachu's goal. To hit us where it hurts the most... first Bad, then Sapnap, and now Wilbur. She― she knew how to get to us... and it worked."

Clay nodded and closed his eyes, "At least Sapnap is trying. That's one of the only good things we have going for us."

George hummed his assent. Suddenly, a knock rapped on their door.