CHAPTER EIGHTEEN.

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN.

The next day had been slow and the pair had spent most of it riding through the woods. Aleksander was stood by the treeline, watching the area as Liliya let their horse drink from the stream. Her hands resting by her side as she stared up at the trees. They were swaying slightly in the breeze. The midday sun was high in the sky, blazing down upon them.

"Aleksander," Liliya said as she turned on her heel. The man lifted his head and turned back to her. His hands dropping to her as he walked over, "You're really not going to punish me for leaving the Little Palace?" She asked. The thought had been playing on her mind since they had met and no matter what he said, she couldn't get it off her mind. It was unlike him to be so placated. There was usually some indicator.

"Do you want me to punish you, milaya?" He asked. She shrugged and adjusted the sleeves of her kefta before deciding to take it off. She placed it down next to the horse, finding it too hot to wear the thick fabric. He lifted her chin up, forcing her to meet his gaze.

"You always do something," She muttered. He then moved his hand down to her hips and gently squeezed the bruises. His lips moving to her ear.

"I did," He whispered before he pressed a soft kiss to her jaw before he stepped back. She stared at him for a moment before she felt her cheeks flush. Turning back to the river, the horse had lifted it's head down. Liliya then picked up the reins and went to put it back on until she heard the snapping of a twig. Then a scream.

Her head snapped back to Aleksander and his eyes narrowed slightly, listening. There was a faint sound of rustling as if someone was struggling and Liliya then heard another shout. It sounded like a child and she dropped the reins. Bolting across the river, her boots splashed water up her pants and she jumped onto the other side of the bank.

Her feet stamping against the mud as she weaved through the trees. Then she spotted him. The boy and there were arms around him. A gun holstered on the man's hips. The Shu Han assassins. He was going to die so she grabbed her flint and steel. With a flick of her hand, the flame arched towards the assassin.

This caused the man to falter, ducking out of the way of the flames. His grip tightened on the boy, his arm wrapping tightly around the child's throat. Liliya was still holding the flint and steel as they met gazes.

"You don't wanna do that, Grisha," He spat in Shu. Liliya scoffed and went to light another flame. However, the assassin was quicker. He pulled his gun out and pressed it against the forehead of the boy. The boy whimpered, wincing away from the gun pressed to his temple. Liliya's heart stopped and she dropped the flint and steel quickly.

"Don't hurt him," Liliya said, keeping her voice calm and even. The man surely understood Ravkan. She hoped he did. Old Ravkan was not expected but this, he had to. If the Shu were stupid enough to send him across the border, he had to know.