Chapter 16

She needs me

She needs me.

If I didn't make John track her down, I wouldn't have found her. She would have left town and come back a week later, acting as if nothing happened. She comes and goes, making sure John and everything else is taken care of, other than that I don't think she would actually "live" here.

Usually Sage says what she has to say without a sweat, not letting any emotions through. Not even anger, which is mostly the only thing I have ever seen her express. Everyone is used to her being blank, I think she even surprised herself today.

With the Italians, I saw fire in her eyes like she was burning. I've never seen her burst at anyone that quickly, she definitely knows exactly who they were talking about, but she doesn't want it to come out.

Enzo, the Italians don is one of my closest allies, but we don't tend to talk about personal stuff. We make time to meet up now and then to bitch about life, we both relate to one another and it's easy. 

Enzo had spoken very few times about his sister and believe me when I say he was wasted. All I know is that he loved her more than anything in this world and he blames himself for her "disappearance".

Mafia and gangs are dirty and you're not supposed to play fair, but why do we need to bring families into things. There is always another way.

When I was first recruited I was trained under dozens of members until I made it to Sage. She doesn't teach, you shadow her and pick up on things. Once in a while, she even explained techniques and I sometimes wondered if it was because she somewhat tolerated me. 

I remember that she was interrogating someone who knew something valuable, but they were extremely loyal to their "cause" and I saw people come and go, but no one seemed to crack him. Sage walked into the room he was locked up in and started talking about his family, and this was after he was beaten to pulp. It was like something snapped in him, everything came pouring out within seconds and then she slit his throat for wasting an entire day.

"You need to threaten them with what they care about, it could be money, power, and most importantly people. It's cruel, but it's what we are. We use each other's weaknesses against each other to get what we want", those were the exact words she said to me before walking away. 

I met Sage two years ago while Matteo and I were working for our father. Our father was never a good man, he was greedy and selfish. He didn't care about his wife or his kids, he just wanted an heir that he could make just like him, but he always thought that I was too soft. People feared him and they respected me, they became more loyal to me and he just couldn't let that happen. So, he hit me where it hurt, Matteo. Whenever I wouldn't be around I found out that he'd have "lessons" with Matteo and that was my last straw. He could do whatever the hell he wanted with me, but going to Matteo was the wrong move. 

Everyone stood around in a large circle as I had a gun pointed at my father's head while he was on his knees. I didn't think I could do it, but then his body dropped dead to the floor. Behind him I see Sage tucking her gun away. I didn't kill him, she did.