Chapter 20

"It was really nice of you to reschedule the thank-you dinner. I bet Taylor is excited," the king praised me. He fiddled with his tie and I put on my shoes while I sat on my bed.

"I think she's more nervous than she is excited," I admitted.

The king raised his eyebrow and asked, "Why's that?"

I smiled as I remembered our plan. "She wants to leave the palace and Jonah doesn't," I confessed.

"What? Why would she want to do that?" He inquired. I finished putting on my shoes and stood up. The king walked over to me and he offered me his arm.

I took his arm then we walked out of the room together. I looked up at him and said, "She wants for them to have their privacy."

"There's privacy in the castle," he argued.

"And guards at every corner," I retorted, "She's right in her thinking."

"So you don't like the palace?" He inquired.

I patted his arm and reassured him, "I'm content here. Taylor, however, wants a different kind of life."

"So you're okay... with staying in the castle for the rest of your days?" The king questioned.

"I've always been good at adapting my home situation. I could do a lot worse than a queen in a castle," I told him.

He smiled then asked, "What can I do to help then? I assume you've made a plan of some sorts and this dinner is a part of it. You're too smart for this to be a mere coincidence."

The dining room was coming up so I quickly told him, "Be yourself. Your unsociable and emotionless self."

He gave me a smirk and responded, "I can do that."

I returned his smirk and we walked towards the dining room. Before we stepped into the guards' line of sight we put on our blank masks. We quickly bypassed the guards and entered the dining room. Like always, freshly cut roses decorated the middle of the table. The king sat at the end of the table and I sat on the opposite end.

Cato soon entered and sat in the middle of the seats by the window. He settled himself in his chair and gave us both a smile. "Kyna, you look beautiful tonight. Red really becomes you."

I looked down at my silk red dress that had a black belt then glanced back up. "Thank you," I replied.

"Has your husband praised you yet? Or is he not grateful for your beauty?" Cato asked harshly.

"He did," I quickly replied, "Though I must say, he's probably not too grateful for a brother with a mouth like yours."

"I'd say I'm surprised at this, but I've known Cato long enough to not be," a new voice interrupted the conversation. Taylor and a tall dark-haired man walked into the room. Their arms were intertwined and smiles seemed to be permanently tattooed onto their faces.

I stood up and went to Taylor. I pulled her into a hug and whispered, "Is everything in place?"

I pulled back and she told me loudly, to where everyone can hear, "I've been looking forward to tonight for days."

"Glad to hear it," I said then gestured to the table, "Please, choose your seats."

I went back to my seat then sat down. Jonah smiled down at his beloved and led her to the seats that were opposite of Cato. They sat down and the staff immediately brought forth a salad. We all began to eat and Jonah asked, "So how was life in the castle while I was gone? My beloved is wonderful but a part of royal life before we met she was not."