Chapter 9

I stuffed the last shirt in my trunk, buckling it shut. I laid down on my bed, exhausted as if it didn't take me 3 days to pack.

I pushed the trunk off my bed, tugging it out of my room and down the stairs.

"Artemis?" I called, "Can you help me with my trunk?"

I could hear her running from the kitchen.

"Let Artemis get this for you." She said nervously, trying to take the trunk from my hands.

"Oh, no. I just need you to help me carry this to the front room." I pointed to the other side. "Take that end and I'll take the other."

I knew Father would be pissed if I scratched the floors and I knew that I wouldn't be the one he blamed.

Father was absolutely awful to Artemis but he would murder me if I freed her. All I could do was treat her as well as possible.

We carried the trunk into the front room, heaving it onto a chair.

"Artemis has made you breakfast, please, eat before it gets cold." She grabbed my hand, pulling me into the dining room.

She pulled out the chair and sat me down hastily.

"Artemis," I chuckled, "It's alright, I don't have to be at Kings station for another two hours."

"Your Father is coming to see you off this year, says there is a big surprise for you." She said nervously.

I groaned, slumping in my seat.

"Do I have to? He's always degrading me." I leaned against the table, scooping a bite of egg into my mouth.

She patted my shoulder before hurrying back into the kitchen. I took a sip of my coffee, alone again.

It's not that I liked being alone in this big house, it was just that I didn't like my only company was him. My Father had been absolutely horrid this summer. Either he forgot to know I existed or he pointed out every little thing that was wrong with me. He just loved to talk about the werewolf scratch every chance he got.

I was getting better about it though. It didn't make me want to hide when someone pointed it out and, of course, I wasn't mad at Professor Lupin. He had sent me multiple letters apologizing and checking up on me and his letters, along with Hera's and Elijah's, were the highlight of my summer, sadly.

Hera and Elijah had been busy all summer with vacations. Elijah went to America to visit his cousins and Hera went to the muggle city, Tokyo, to visit her grandparents. So owling was out of the question, they had to send mail through the muggle service. I even went to a post office, which made Father furious.

I finished eating, leaving enough food on my plate to fill Artemis. I know she only ever eats if there's leftover food.

I went back upstairs, closing my door softly. I grabbed a towel from the cabinet in my bathroom and turned on the water.

I stepped into the water, relishing in the comforting warmth that enveloped me. After sitting in the water for a while, I finally washed my hair.