Chapter 43

Elsewhere in the slums:
---

"This is quite the enjoyable show. Unfortunately for you, protector of Lungmen, your city will soon be under our control. Much of the Infected in the slums have long surpassed their bedtime, now they will rise against you."

Mephisto and his army of undead soldiers, and Faust with his Phantom Crossbowmen all but won their battle. The L.G.D could defend themselves against the sheer force and overwhelming power of the Reunion. Outnumbered and outgunned, they had focus their efforts on preventing the Reunion from swarming the main city sectors.

"I'm not interested in hearing your wicked fantasies," Ch'en growled. "You Reunion have only caused problems from the start!

"The problems didn't just start with us. Lungmen is no different from Ursus," Mephisto proclaimed.

"Don't compare this city to the war-torn cities of Ursus! We are nothing like you! Now begone!"

"Are you so sure about that? Do the Infected in these parts get treated better or worse than those in Ursus? This city was known for liberty, inclusivity, prosperity and equality - but those ideals seem to have been shared by the normal city-dwellers, the non-Infected."

"Spare me your nonsense!"

Two crossbow bolts zoom at breakneck speed. Ch'en blocked them with her scabbard before she turned around and subdued an enemy. Reunion soldiers started to drop like flies, but Mephisto resurrected them by blowing a kiss, infusing their corpses with new life, allowing them to rise again to finish their mission.

Faust and his Phantom Crossbowmen fired relentlessy, barely giving the L.G.D any breathing room. The police force started retreating slowly and subtly, and they counterattacked, only to be sent back to the position they were in before. 

"Why don't you use that other sword of yours?" Mephisto taunted Ch'en. 

"You're not worthy of being slain by Chi Xiao."

"Chi Xiao? It has a nice name, but weapons were meant to be used for killing. You're not allowing it to drink blood. You're restricting it from its true potential. Foes still await you!"

Her muscles tensed up; she tightened her grip on her two swords. The bright red blade, Chi Xiao, was still in its sheath, waiting to be unleashed. She gritted her teeth and observed her surroundings. Seven mutated Reunion soldiers stood around her, and Mephisto stood far away. With Faust as cover fire, she was unable to close the distance between her and the Liberi.

"How long will you wait, officer?" Mephisto taunted one more time.

Ch'en turned her hand on Chi Xiao's hilt. A red aura began to emit from her blade; large clouds started to form around her. She closed her eyes, took a deep breath, and yelled.

"Chi Xiao! Unsheathe!" 

A red flash burst from the blade as its scabbard came off. Red lines tore through seven bodies, killing her targets on the spot, decorating their bodies with searing hot slashes. Ch'en's fingers turned numb as she aimed Chi Xiao at Mephisto; the Reunion leader , with his mouth agape, was astonished by her newfound power.

"Leave this city now!" Ch'en demanded.

KERBLANG!*

An explosion erupted far away from the combat zone, causing the buildings in the slums to fall like dominoes. Large shells fell down from the sky like a storm. One after another, chunks of concrete, steel, and stone shot up in the air and cascaded down, crushing anyone unable to escape a quick death. Ch'en ordered her troops to retreat as she left the Reunion to scatter their forces in the wake of mortar fire.