20

Clay's POV

Clay's head throbbed as he sat up in the infirmary the next morning.

He blinked and scanned the room, spotting Alyssa slumped against her work table, sleeping. She looked exhausted. Clay saw George on the mattress next to him, sleeping. His neck was bruised a deep purple with the likeness of handprints wrapped around it.

Clay winced. His hand reached to feel the back of his head, which was bandaged heavily. His head was a little dizzy and he felt disoriented. He figured he had some form of concussion, but George had it so much worse.

Clay squeezed his eyes shut as tears threatened to spill. He pulled a stool next to George and gently picked up his pale hand. George stirred in his sleep and his fingers twitched.

His eyes opened slowly and he looked at Clay. George offered a weak smile and squeezed Clay's hand. Clay looked down, his eyes filling with tears.

"I'm sorry George," Clay whispered, "I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault, Clay," George rasped, his voice hoarse.

Clay lifted his eyes to meet George's gentle expression. George whispered, "It's okay. Sapnap―he... he just needs time. We shouldn't have gone up to him yesterday. He'll get better."

"But― he nearly killed you." Clay responded, surprised. He frowned, "George, he was going to kill you."

George squeezed his hand comfortingly, "I know, but he didn't. Karl stopped him. Sapnap... he is going through a tough time right now. We all are."

Clay's eyebrows furrowed, "I know, but that doesn't excuse his actions. I know he's my best friend―or was my best friend―I don't know, but that doesn't mean you have to forgive him."

"I want to forgive him. Everyone deserves a second chance, we should at least give him that."

Clay nodded slowly. His eyes landed on Alyssa as he looked around the room. She was still sleeping, her head rested on her arms.

George followed his gaze and he whispered hoarsely, "She was working a long time yesterday on your head... I watched. It was horrible."

Clay looked at George. "Horrible?"

"What do you remember from yesterday?"

Clay thought for a moment. The last thing he remembered was Karl talking to Sapnap, after that, nothing.

"Did I pass out?"

"Yeah," George answered with a nod. "Quackity and Karl took Sapnap somewhere. Sapnap went willingly. Some stable hands helped us to the infirmary, where Alyssa was helping someone. I could hardly explain anything to her, my throat was burning. She seemed to get the gist of it, though, when she saw the blood."

"She needs a raise."

George chuckled, his throat raw. Clay dragged a hand down his face and sighed.

"Has there been news of Wilbur yet?" Clay asked after a long moment.

George shook his head and Clay groaned, "There are so many problems we have to deal with."

"Let's see," George muttered, counting off his fingers he said, "Wilbur's missing, L'manberg's armies are growing restless, Sapnap and his... tendencies." George cringed and continued, "Nihachu and Eret are still locked up, but we have to do something with them... not to mention, we have a missing person."

"Missing person?"

"...Skeppy... if he's even alive. I know Bad would've wanted us to make sure he's safe."