35: Back To Normal

"But I always take this seat."

"No, you always take that seat."

"No, I always sit in the middle."

"No, I do."

"But the light is angled perfectly over here–"

"I am not getting up for you," I stubbornly crossed my arms.

"–And the air conditioning hits just the way I like–"

"Antonio."

"Fine." He glared at me and reluctantly sat down.

"Are you guys hearing this too?" Lily asked the others, stunned.

"Rose and Antonio arguing over who gets to sit in the middle?" Benny snorted.

"No," Tabitha looked at her boyfriend. "Well, yeah. But no."

"They're back to normal," gaped Romano.

It was a few days after New Year's Day. The winter break was rounding to an end. Per usual, the group of us were spent the evening at the diner, lounging around and sipping on our milkshakes. It was the first time Antonio had joined us in weeks, as we'd previously been avoiding each other. Now that we'd made up, things were finally back to normal.

"When did this happen?" Tabitha questioned with arched eyebrows.

"When did what happen?" I innocently replied.

"When did you two make up?" Lily eagerly inquired.

"We didn't," Antonio nonchalantly shrugged.

"Yeah. I still hate him," I insisted, pointing my freckled nose in the air.

"Whatever you say, Flower." Antonio rolled his dark eyes, though I could see the glimmer of amusement underneath.

• • •

Days later, school started up again. I wasn't privy to the glances and whispers that followed Antonio and I throughout the day. Before third period, a freshman girl who I'd never seen before came up to me in the hallway. She'd asked if Antonio and I were back together. I'd told her we were never dating in the first place. She'd looked disappointed.

I didn't understand it. She certainly wasn't the only girl curious to know where I stood with Antonio. After school, I was gathering my binders from my locker when it was suddenly slammed shut. I flinched and pulled my hands away just in time, utterly disdained to see who the culprit was. Or rather, culprits.

"I see you and Antonio made up again." Beth scowled at me, flipping back her bleach blonde waves.

I skeptically crossed my arms. "Happy New Year to you too."

"Answer the question." She stomped her foot like a toddler.

"What question?"

"You and Antonio made up."

"But that's not a question," I beamed. She glared at me and I sighed. "What's it to you?"

"I thought I told you to stay away from him," Kimmy piped up in her squeaky voice.

I blinked for a moment. I hadn't even noticed she'd been standing behind Beth.

"I thought I told you I don't care," I sarcastically smiled at her.

She snarled and stepped towards me, but was suddenly stopped by a smirking Beth.

"I see you've unbraided your hair," Beth said.