Sensitive Subjects

George had been acting differently. 

He was gentler, softer than he had ever been before. He had started looking at her like she would disappear if he looked at her too long. Like she was already a phantom memory. 

It wasn't bad...just different.

Cassandra had been wearing the engagement ring on a long necklace gingerly around her neck, often tucking it under her shirt. No one seemed to mind, both men seemed to like it better this way.

Adrian had been gone longer and longer, much to Cassandra's delight. 

Maybe he really loved Uma, maybe they could all be happy. Maybe.

Trying to lift George's off moods lately, Cassandra headed to Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour to grab them some dessert before work. She pushed the door open, hearing the soft singing of the bell, moving to stand in line.

The woman in front of her was an inch or two shorter than Cassandra, her black curly hair was pulled into a ponytail on top of her head. She seemed familiar but Cassandra couldn't place it.

She ignored the feeling as the line moved up. The woman ordered two scoops of ice cream and tipped the servers well.

When the woman turned to leave however, Cassandra finally recognized her, freezing in place.

Uma Olamina.

Cassandra tried to mask the shock on her face as Uma smiled at her. Uma momentarily looked down, "Oh wow you're ring! It's beautiful!" 

Cassandra looked down to the ring, she must have forgotten to tuck it in today. Shit.

"Oh..um thank you."

Uma smiled, paper white teeth flashing, her dark complexion flawless. "You're welcome! Is it an engagement ring?"

Cassandra nodded, gulping down the knot in her throat. What the hell is going on?

"Wow congratulations! How lucky...Here let me get your ice cream to celebrate!" Uma beamed again. Cassandra studied her but couldn't uncover some secret agenda. She seemed so genuine. Cassandra told her the flavor, (George's favorite) and Uma bought her the biggest scoop possible.

"Wow thank you..."

Uma smiled again, "No problem! I wish you both the best!" With that she twirled on her foot and was off, her yellow dress flowing around her ankles.

It was so genuine, so kind and real. Cassandra was sure Uma thought she had done a nice thing for a stranger. But Cassandra was no stranger. Uma had no idea she had bought ice cream for her boyfriend's fiancé. She was clueless, naïve to the situation she was deep within.

Hot shame rippled through her chest, guilty thoughts collecting of how Uma deserved so much better. How George deserved so much better.

She walked into the shop, heading to the office to find a stressed George. His hands were in his ruffled up hair, elbows pressing onto the table. Cassandra lightly knocked on the open door, George turned around, his worried expression being replaced with a weak smile. "Hey baby..."

"Hi," Cassandra leaned down and pecked his lips quickly, "Gotcha a little something."

George turned his attention to the stoops of ice cream stack on top of the other, "You got this for me?"

Cassandra nodded, smiling at him. "Share it with me." George patted his lap, Cassandra eagerly sat down, wiggling to get comfy. George's hands flew to her sides, a soft grunt escaping his mouth.

Cassandra licked a stripe up one side of the ice cream scoops, wigging again to turn to him, holding the ice cream to his face.

He grunted again, "How is it that you always find a way to drive me wild?" he mumbled before licking his side, he then grabbed her face and pulled her in for an open mouth kiss. The ice cream melting on his tongue sent her taste buds into overdrive, nothing had tasted so sweet.