Beneficial Practice

You gasped as slid across the cool grass on your shoulder in the back yard. Your shirt and jeans damp with the morning dew that covered the lawn. You groaned as you picked yourself up and caught your breath while Luna looked down on you expectantly.

"You can't take all day to counter attack," Luna warned as she began walking towards you at a brisk pace. You growled and ran up to her aiming your shoulder for her right knee, the objective to knock her to the ground with your body weight. Luna quickly saw through your tactic though and brought herself down to your level so her face was level with yours. You jumped to the left and rolled off to the side before quickly rising to your feet. You felt wind rush by you as Luna stood over you, already bringing an arm over to swipe at you horizontally. You turned your body to block the attack, and you were mostly successful as you brought her arm to a stop. You were jarred and rattled, but still standing.

"What are you doing?" Luna snapped, "Counterattack or get out of the way!" By the time you turned to attack she had already brought her other paw up in a vertical swing. The tip of her paw caught your chin. You were knocked backward and off your feet. You attempted to stand again but collapsed as you felt a heavy weight on your back. You tried to turn your head, but even that proved to be difficult to say the least. You could barely make out Luna kneeling over you while holding you down with a single paw. "You have to be faster than that," She chided as she removed her paw from you. "You were able to dodge a few of my attacks and even stop one. But that indecisiveness could get you killed."

"Yeah, yeah I got it," You muttered as you sat up and rubbed your arm.

Luna gave a satisfied nod, "That's enough for today. Get cleaned up and changed. Tanya will take you to your appointment."

"You're not coming?" You asked.

"No," Luna shook her head, "I have an appointment of my own with Malcolm about that foxbat. I'll catch up with you later, okay?" With that she began to walk off. You turned your head to look at the rising sun when you heard footsteps rushing towards you. You threw yourself out of the way and leapt to your feet to find Luna airborne and descending upon you. She easily pinned you under her, but immediately picked herself up and moved off of you. "And try to remember what I told you, this is a prime example. Quick on the initial, but lacking on the follow up."

You grunted back at the wolf who said nothing, but instead offered you a stern and disapproving glare before walking back into the house. As she opened the door, Tanya was on her way out to the back yard.

"Don't you think that was a bit harsh?" She asked as Luna made for the stairs.

"He needs to learn to protect himself," Luna insisted, "I'm only teaching him like I would've taught one of my recruits back at the academy."

"No," Tanya replied, "You're being way harsher with him than you ever were with them."

"I just want him to have the best chance at survival, that's all," Luna snapped.

Tanya raised her hands in defense, "I have no objection to that. I'm just saying that you'ure taking this a bit further than you usually do."

"He means a lot to me, alright? If I'm tough on him it's because I worry about him." With that Luna left the room to go get ready for her meeting.

"How much?" Tanya pressed.

"A lot," Luna replied as she narrowed her eyes.

Tanya shrugged, "If you say so." She turned to look at you as you stretched your back.

"Hey Luna, what's your son's favorite food?"

Luna turned her head to answer as she left the room "Definitely pizza, but he doesn't mind home cooki-" The wolf stopped midsentence and spun around on her heel, her fur puffed out and her eyes wide.