Chapter 22

Dream's POV

I didn't know how much time was left but I ran like hell.

It was beginning to get late and while I can ignore the emptiness in my stomach due to becoming accustomed to malnutrition, I couldn't ignore how tired I started to get. If I had any chance of keeping up a fight, I'd need some rest.

With sudden luck the identical trees around me began to differ just enough for me to realize where I was. All I needed was to keep running forward and on my way I would run into a cabin. One that I haven't been to for a year.

I weaved through the trees, sprinting.

A couple minutes later I reached it. I didn't waste any time going inside.

I scanned for anything to keep the door locked shut. My eyes laid on a couple pieces of furniture that I moved to block the door.

Scattered around the floor were the remnants of baking goods. It was enough information to know that the cabin has been vacant since (Y/n) and I had last been.

I shook off the memories and went to bed. I layed down and closed my eyes as an attempt to fall asleep.

I whispered to the vacant gods, "Give us this."

Give us a goddamn break I wanted to scream. I think they forgot what mercy was.

Terrible thoughts clouded my mind as I slept.

* * *

I woke up to the shaking of the door. I didn't have time to process it as I jumped out of the window.

I didn't know exactly what kind of things (Y/n) could now do but I have enough of an inference to think she could appear out of thin air if she wanted. 

So maybe by some miracle she tried to open the door before she teleported inside because I would have had no time to escape. I would've been dead.

Maybe by some miracle someone did listen to my sad excuse of a prayer.

At this point I knew finding water was my best bet. Which was a good thing considering there was a lake nearby.

Once I reached it, I wasted no time jumping in.

The water was freezing and there wasn't much of a shallow end. I shredded water in hopes that my body would become accustomed to the cold temperature.

Only seconds later did (Y/n) show up, once again appearing out of thin air.

"What are you doing?" She questioned, her eyes furrowed at the sight of me in the lake.

I lean further on my back, "Swimming. Care to join?"

Her facial expression didn't change and she didn't even walk a single step. The longer I waited, the realization hit me.

Maybe she can't go in.

I smirked at the loop hole and her obvious frustration.

I could win this.

"You have eight hours left, there is no possible way you can stay there," she remarked.

Eight hours.

I knew she was probably right about me not being able to stay here but it was my last chance. I couldn't run any longer.

We said nothing else to each other. I settled for a back float to preserve my energy and well she never blinked. Not once.

She looked like a predator who had eyes on her prey, with no intent of letting it out of her sight. Nothing human in them.

I didn't mind it much. However what I did mind was the fact that I couldn't stay in a back float because my body would get too cold but when I shredded water, I got exhausted. So it was either freeze to death or sink.

I tried to think of why I was doing all of this but there were minutes I would forget. Minutes where I wanted to let myself drop into that water and never come back up. Those were the scariest.

So I made myself think of good things.

I thought of (Y/n) and how me dying would mean she would never be herself again, trapped in her own body. 

I thought of Patches and Christmas who would lose both of their owners. 

I thought of George and Sapnap who I haven't had the chance to apologize to for all the pain I caused them. 

Or how I still want to punch Tommy in the face for all the pain he caused me.

Hour four. Halfway.

"Don't be an idiot. Get out of the lake," (Y/n) yelled.

No.

She didn't talk again.

My head hurt and I could barely feel my feet. I was utterly numb. Sometimes I would catch myself closing my eyes a little too long and my head would submerge underwater.

If I die without her having a part in it, does it still count?

I doubt DreamXD cares.

* * *

I had no more hope.

My body had become paper white and my muscles barely worked and I had no idea how much time I had left.

I turned my head to the love of my life and smiled. Even if her eyes showed someone completely different, the rest was the same.

If I had to choose one last thing to see, it would be her.

I hope (Y/n) would know I tried. That I fought until my last breath because she is worth fighting for. She is worth every last heartbeat I have.

Maybe God wanted to show me heaven on Earth because he knew I wouldn't make it there when I died. Not for all of the terrible things I have done.

I closed my eyes and let my body drop into the depths of the water.

The last thing I remember is hearing the sound of bells ringing in my ear as if the world was celebrating finally being rid of me.

besties..... im back