eight

25 hours after soul-binding

Jungwon traced designs in the fountain, the water ripples following his every movement. It was 5:45 AM and not a soul lingered at the school sanctuary. 

The boy looked up at the dawning skies, the birds already making a loud debut with their typical morning chirps. He sighed, shutting his eyes.

He had the worst headache imaginable. 

Not an inch of sleep for the last 48 hours. His eyebags grew darker and darker each passing era; and no matter how tired he was, he could never bring himself to fall asleep.

It was almost concerning at this point. Demons needed more time to sleep than normal humans did, in the boys case it was 12 full hours. 

It didn't make any sense for him to not lose his senses + powers from the lack of rest. Maybe it was the adrenaline these past events gave him? Maybe it was the thrill and the shock of saving a girl from potential death, getting targeted by demon guilds, getting soul-bound?

He didn't know. But what he did know, was that he needed to doze off soon before the usual side-effects started to physically affect.

The boy pulled out his wet finger from the fountain and brought it to his temple, rubbing it slowly as he inhaled the fresh morning's air.

It smelled slightly damp, slightly leafy and slightly musty.

Perfect weather to fall asleep to, I'd say. Jungwon agreed before breathing out.

The demi slowly walked over to the West division's wall, taking tiny steps before leaning against the concrete and sliding down. 

"Ah, really." he mumbled, lightly banging his head. The headache pounded as his sleepy eyes drooped, desperately wanting the tiniest bit of rest which the boy had no way to acquire.

"I wish I wasn't the stupid soul-binder. If only freakin' Seoyoon had the power to heal my pain." He groaned, ripping out a patch of grass and playing with the stalks.

The time neared to 6 AM, and the usual chatter of the early-risers made its way to the exhausted demon. The typical school council dominated the front-yard, discussing their plans to better the school, give out more homework, kiss up to teacher's butts, all which the boy couldn't give a shit about.

Sleep.

The one thing he needed the most in the world right now. But words weren't able to explain how frustrating it was that he couldn't get any for no known reason.

It was almost like some type of punishment. 

"Don't think.. don't think, don't think." He mumbled, squeezing his eyes shut and trying to relax. The headache spread to his neck, it was almost unbearable.

Overwhelming shocks of pain shot through his brain, the burden growing heavier every passing second.

The boy swallowed, a tear slowly seeping from his eye. He looked like a kitten at that very moment, nose pink, teary cheeks and small lips.

"Agh, stupid ass headache." He sniffed.

Jungwon slowly lowered his head into his hands, scratching his nape. He gave up.

"..."

"Demiboy?'"

Came a voice from his side and the student's soul almost left him. His eyes widened and he jerked his entire body to look in the direction of the bearer. 

Na Seoyoon idled next to him, peeking down at his crumbled demeanor with a bag hoisted over her shoulder. "Why are you crying?"

Jungwon scowled. "No reason. You should leave."

The girl planted a foot. "I'm not going anywhere." She sterned, crossing her arms. 

"..."

The demi refused to look at her, head craning the other direction. "I said, you should leave. You're going to be late for class."

"Late? I have 30 more minutes. Quit with the excuses." She rolled her eyes. Seoyoon sighed, kneeling down and grabbing the boy's chin and nudging it to her direction.

She took a good look into his big doe, tired, and watery eyes. 

Once the boy realized what the hell was going on, he snapped his head in the other way and cursed. 

"What the fuck were y-"

"Your eyebags look like shit." The girl deadpanned, taking a seat beside him against the wall. 

"I have a headache, leave."

"Have you been resting?"

Jungwon just about evaporated on the spot. 

"What. Does. It. Look. Like." He muttered, gritting his teeth.

"Gee, grumpy." Seoyoon scorned. "Just go sleep then?"

"I freaking can't!" The boy groaned, annoyed.

The girl looked away for a second, chewing on her bottom lip.

 Jungwon unnoticeably flinched due to a brain strain, but the girl caught the slight movement.

She sighed. She slowly reached an arm around the boys head and laid it on her shoulder, hands fluttering to his eyes to shut them. 

"Sleep."

Jungwon fought her actions, about to sit up and cast her into a frog or some demon shit. 

But her scent was enough for his eyes to droop and his senses to lull.

"See, It isn't so bad. Lay still." Seoyoon instructed.

"Get.. to class."

She hummed.

"Ah, there there, sh.." The girl soothed. 

"You're insane." The boy muttered sleepily, almost in a droll.

"I'm not the demiboy here." Seoyoon giggled as she felt the tiny snores of the boy against her neck.