Wattpad Original
There are 3 more free parts

14. Suddenly Daddy

I've been trying to call Ashton Knight's personal number, leave him a voice message, and even text him, but I haven't gotten a single response from him. Once I can get a hold of Andy, he says that his boss has been tied up in the meeting with Mr. Remington and the team. For dramatic effect, he whispers ominously on the phone, "If you still want to have your soul intact, you'd better not bother him now."

Honestly, I don't care. He can bite me all he wants later, but first, I want his blood.

It's already lunch break when I reach the thirteenth floor. Once the elevator doors slide open, the delicious aroma coming from the pantry invades my nostrils, making my stomach growl like a mad dog. But food can wait because my daughter's life is on the line. Noticing that the executive assistant's desk is empty, I march directly to Mr. Knight's door. Andy told me that our CEO didn't have any lunch appointments, which means he's probably having his lunch inside his room right now.

Once standing in front of his door, I take a deep breath while gathering my courage to announce my arrival. It's when I hear a male voice murmur and a female giggle behind the door. He's having company, and whatever they're doing at this very moment, it doesn't sound like a work-related visit. Is he doing funny business in his office room right now? During lunchtime?

The latest gossip about him getting back together with his ex pops up in my mind. It must be her then; it must be the faceless woman. If it wasn't for Chloe, I would just turn around and leave, but what needs to be done needs to be done.

The laughter stops once I knock, followed by a brief silence before his familiar voice echoes across the room. "Yes?" He must think I'm Andy.

Feeling unsure about how he will react to my unexpected appearance, I clear my throat and reply, "Mr. Knight?"

I hear footsteps approach the door and before I can respond, the door is swung open, revealing the face that has been giving me conflicted feelings in the past month. "Charlotte?"

"Sir," I greet, forcing myself to smile.

His eyes graze down observing my appearance which I'm sure looks like total shit right now. "What's wrong?"

"Can I have a word with you, sir?" I ask, glancing at the office room behind him but the door is blocking my sight.

"Can't it wait until the lunch break is over? I'm busy right now."

I shake my head while fiddling with the phone in my hand. "I'm afraid not, sir. It's urgent."

"Who is it, Ash?" asks the female voice before a red-haired woman emerges from behind him. Then our eyes meet.

She's pretty. No, she is stunning. Her ivory skin glows against her auburn hair, bringing out her breathtaking grayish-green eyes. Faint freckles adorn her high cheekbones, sprinkling over her pointed nose. She's not as tall as I am, but the way she carries herself reminds me of a catwalk model.

Mr. Knight turns his head to her and smiles, making me realize that he never actually smiled during the time I was working for him. Nothing like this. "It's my new account executive, Charlotte. She said she needed to talk."

The now not-faceless woman breaks our staring contest and looks up at her boyfriend, slightly frowning. "Does it have to be now?"

"Yes, actually. It has to be now," I interject.

Mr. Knight furrows his eyebrow as he tilts his head to me, showing a mix of surprise and annoyance; the expression he gives when someone answers for him. His lips twitch and the glint in his eyes throws me back to the first days I worked for him. The challenge glare. "Okay. You have sixty seconds to talk."