Chapter 14: Garden, Brent Castle, London

When Marcus suggested that Frances wait for him in the garden, she got up and left. She saw columns of tulips of various colours from the carriage window on her way. How lovely it will be to walk in the tulip garden with Marcus at her side. She blushed and looked around but there was no one.

Frances walked trying to remember the way she came in, but after a few minutes she had to admit, she was lost. The castle was so huge, she kept walking hoping she would run into someone.

The delicious smell of chocolate wafted through the air. Surely there would be a door in the kitchen she thought, as she followed the scent.

When she walked out of the kitchen door she had a plate full of hot chocolate biscuits. She headed towards the tulip garden. The site was mesmerizing, there were white, red, pink, orange and yellow tulips each planted in a column. She deposited the plate on a bench and bent down to smell the tulip.

A sharp voice said, 'You shouldn't pluck the flower.' Frances turned and saw an old gardener walking her way.

'I wasn't going to pluck, I just wanted to smell them,'' she said.

'You should not climb into the flower bed,' said the gardener again.

Frances indicated her feet which were on the sidewalk and said, 'I didn't climb down, see.'

He grunted and set about planting seeds in a freshly made patch. Frances walked over and watched him work, asking questions now and then.

She sat down on the bench and started on her biscuits. Frances invited the gardener to join her. He grunted in reply, but came and sat next to her.

'I'm Miss. Hill'', she said and held her hand, he took it and shook without a word,

'And, you are?' prompted Frances.

'I am Brent.' said the old man.

'You must be Master Paulen's fiance,' Brent said.

Frances could feel her blush as she said, 'No, we are not engaged.'

'Pardon me, Ma'am.' said Brent.

'It's alright, Mr.Brent' replied Frances.

He stood abruptly and moved towards the orange tulip, plucking a few. He came and handed it to Frances telling 'Not all tulips have a smell, but this orange one has.'

'What happened to -' she mimicked his voice ''You shouldn't pluck the flower.''

Brent gave a hearty laugh. Soon they were talking about flowers, Marcus, gardens, Marcus, biscuits, Marcus.

The gardener must have been working for the Paulens for a long time, thought Frances as he had many stories about younger Marcus.

Marcus was seething with anger, as he searched for Frances. She must have been hurt when her mom talked about his mistress to her. Marcus didn't want to end things with Frances. He had to find her and apologize. But he couldn't find her in the front garden.

Muttering, he made his way to the other side. He saw Frances sitting on a garden bench, there was someone with her, but the tree hid his view. He made his way towards her.

Marcus watched as Frances clutched her stomach and laughed. Marcus walked near enough to hear her talk.

She was telling, 'Offense: Burning the palace, Weapon used: -,'

Another voice completed, ' - The hoops.' It was Marcus' father. Marcus watched as both Frances and Duke Winston guffaw.

Frances turned and saw Marcus staring at them. She said, 'Marcus' and stood up.

'Do you want a biscuit? They are delicious,' said Frances.

But Marcus was looking at Mr.Brent as he greeted, 'Father.'

On this Frances looked from Marcus to Mr.Brent mumbling 'Father?'

Marcus ignored Frances as he said, 'Seems you have already met Miss. Frances Hill. Frances this is my father Duke Winston Paulen.'

Frances curtsied and said 'How come you never mentioned it Mr. Brent?' with a wink.

Duke Winston Paulen guffawed again.

Duke Winston turned to Frances and said, 'Miss.Hill, why don't you inform the kitchen maid to bring out another plate of these delicious biscuits.'

Duke Winston waited till Frances was away and asked 'Do you think she will do good as Lady Vandam?'

Though Marcus did not think about marriage, he was angry that his father would ask such a question.

He retorted angrily, 'What is wrong with her not to make one?'

'Nothing. Miss. Hill seems a good egg,' replied Duke Winston. He added, 'But good eggs won't survive your mother.'

Marcus' already raging mind came to a boiling point, 'Just because you couldn't, doesn't mean everyone can't.' He turned and left.

Marcus has never raised his voice in front of his parents. But, Marcus didn't regret his actions.

Marcus' parents were not like arguing spouses, they simply ignored each other. He could count on his fingers the number of times he saw his parents talk. He hated the dinner when both were present, it was like a funeral.

Frances came with a fresh biscuit, to find Duke Winston standing alone. He pointed towards Marcus' retreating form and said, 'You should follow him.'

Marcus made his way angrily towards his wing. His was the smaller wing slightly apart from the rest. He remembered Frances and turned, he found Frances a short distance away from him. His anger dissipated as he saw her walking towards him grinning as though she was having the time of her life.

**Please vote and Swipe on**