35.

But there it was, in her sent messages, mocking her traitorous heart.

......

Camila brushed some sugar crystals along the rim of a martini glass, and handed her signature cocktail to a woman in a standard, boring, black business suit who'd wandered in a few minutes ago rolling a large black case on wheels, the kind that was usually full of pharmaceuticals. Camila guessed she was a sales rep for one of the big drug companies and had been pithing docs all day with little success. Quite simply, the woman looked worn down.

She sighed heavily, resting her chin in her palm. Camila felt for her, without even knowing her woes. Life could be a cruel mistress. Sometimes the days wrung you dry. The nights did too, those lonely nights when all she wanted was a note, a moment, a sweet reminder that she wasn't one woman against the world, tackling everything solo.

"Enjoy" Camila said, sliding the Purple Snow Globe in front of the woman, "I hope it makes the day a little better"

The woman flashed a smile, "You have no idea how much I need this"

"This one is my speciality, but if it doesn't fit the bill, you let me know and I'll mix up something else for you instead"

The woman took her first sip, and her tired eyes lit up. Camila swore a switch had been flipped and they'd gone from muted to bright blue, "This is divine"

She smiled, "I'm glad you like it" she said, and for now, this was enough to make Camila's shit week a bit better. She might not have won her game, she might have lost her woman, but at least she could do one thing right: mix a drink, and lift the spirits temporarily of the weary.

She moved to the tap, filling a Pale Ale for a regular customer, a skinny guy who always stopped by after work. She liked him; he'd never once tried to hit on her. He was only here for the drinks.

"The usual" she said, handing him the glass. He doffed an imaginary hat, and took his first swallow. She gathered up tips from other patrons and returned to the register, tucking some bills in the drawer.

"Can I pretty please have your most special, awesomeness Diet Coke?"

Camila grinned widely, and turned to see her favourite person ever: her best friend Dinah, decked out in a vintage emerald-green dress with white petticoat peeking out from the skirt's hem, the first sight of her hitting Camila the wrong way. On her shoulders she wore a faux white fur cape - one hundred percent pure-retro fashionista. Next to her was her fiancé, Normani, wearing a plaid button-down dress and black tights, dress-up attire for the most casual Miami dancer she was. They were the happiest couple she knew, and yet another reason why Camila was never going to burst their bubble of bliss with her troubles. Seeing her best friend in love was a singular joy, and she'd go to the ends of the earth to protect Dinah's heart from any more hurt.

"Always for you" Camila said, and leaned across the bar to give her younger best friend a hug, "And hello pretty" she said to Normani, giving her a peck on the cheek.

"Hey, Camila. How's business tonight?"

"Always good at Cubic Z" she said, beaming and glad for the chance to talk about the bar business. She was proud of her tiny little patch of land in Coconut Grove; yet another reason why she desperately wanted to get out from under Austin's thumb. She didn't want him to take over this place. The thought of him running his illegal operations from her bar, threatening other patsies with his knife that wasn't dangerous in and of itself, but symbolized all he could do, made her stomach restless. He could turn it to a rubble too, leaving her, Ally, and Ally's family high and dry. She poured Dinah a Diet Coke, then asked Normani for her poison.