Part 7

(not edited)

Sophie POV

Sophie felt the pain. Felt it to her very bones that had been healed and treated. Physically, she would be fine. She would be able to move her body back into the same shape she was in months ago.

But she would never be the same ever again. 

So when she opened her eyes to see her mother and father collapsed by her sides with tear-stained faces, she sobbed out in relief. Grady and Edaline snapped up and looked at their daughter.

Their daughter who had gone through so much and was finally home. Finally safe. 

The trio clung to each other for so long they forgot to call Elwin to check on Sophie. When they finally came to their wits, Elwin playfully shook his head at them. 

"Hello Sophie," He said calmly, sitting on the side of her cot so he could check up on her. "I know this is probably all very overwhelming so just relax for now."

Sophie nodded, wiping at the remainder of her tears. She didn't speak at all as Elwin snapped his fingers, creating different orbs of light to examine her condition. Grady and Edaline watched intently, asking Elwin questions which he would give careful answers in return. 

When he saw all was well with her body, Elwin tried to get Sophie to talk. 

"Are you feeling tired Sophie?" He asked gently, not sure if she would answer.

She didn't- well, not verbally. 

She simply shook her head and kept staring out into space. 

Elwin moved his hand up to scratch his chin when he caught movement from Sophie. She had flinched at the raise of his hand. This realization saddened Elwin, getting flashes of the numerous injuries he had to treat and his horrors of how she got them. 

"It's okay Sophie," Edaline cooed, tears still threatening to spill over. She had to be strong though. Had to be strong for Sophie who had been so strong to get back to them. "You're safe. You're with us. No one is going to hurt you- especially not Elwin."

Sophie made eye contact with Edaline and Grady and felt the urge to cry again. She never thought she would see them again. That was her only wish- to see the ones she loved one more time. But now that she was here, what was she going to do now? She didn't truly see herself escaping that hell Vespera had put her through.

Sophie began to shake, the mere whisper of Vespera's name sending flashbacks. The gauntlets over the fire, the whips, and the knives. The hammer and bone crush...

Edaline and Grady held their daughter close, Edaline's hand rubbing her back. 

"We love you Sophie," She promised, caressing her daughter.

"We will always love you, Sophie," Grady added, holding on to his family. "And we'll be wish you every step of the way with this. We promise. Whenever you need us, we'll be there."

Sophie recalled longing for her parents while Vespera was off doing whatever Vespera does when she wasn't torturing Sophie. They couldn't make it but she remembered seeing Calla and Kenric and Jolie being there for her during her time of need.

Even during her darkest hour, the people who cared about her were there. Even if it wasn't real and it was just her imagination- Sophie had escaped. 

So she made a promise to herself- to never be weak or vulnerable again. Vespera had tried to shatter her but as Kenric had said, she did not yield. 

And at that realization, Sophie Foster wiped up her tears and embraced her parents back. "I love you guys," She whimpered, her voice raw and cracked. "You're the reason I fought so hard to come back."

The three of them began to weep again, Elwin even wiping at his eyes (a/n: haha Elwin just standing there like 👁👄👁)

💧     💧

After weeks of torture and pushing forward, Sophie Foster was finally home.