thirty nine

~*~*~

~*~*~

"you killed them?"

~*~*~

regulus was given a minimal job, and easy one, some might say, a starter job. he was only a lookout, although he didn't know what was going on inside who's ever house this was. he stood by the gate and looked down the street, the house stood alone, it was a old-fashioned looking farm house, it was quite lovely actually. regulus saw a flash of green light shine though the window for a split second and then a man's scream that made him stumble back from the gate.

"hurry up, lucius!" hissed bellatrix, turning back to her brother-in-law as she ripped the front door open and made her way over to regulus, "does you mask fit alright?"

"yeah," nodded regulus, he looked over bellatrix's shoulder to see lucius dragging someone out the house by under their arms, "who's that?"

"someone who has tried to run and hide from the dark lord," answered lucius with a sneering grin, "his family had to pay the price too."

"his family?" asked regulus in an almost panicked tone, the flash of green light replayed in regulus' head, "you killed them?"

"yes," said bellatrix matter of factly, "we need to get him back to the dark lord, we'll drop you off on the way. you did a good job at being lookout, maybe next time, you can come in."

regulus didn't get to reply because his cousin grabbed him and apparated, letting go of him when they got to grimmauld place. regulus put his hands on his knees and vomited on the pavement almost as soon as he landed. he felt sick at what they had done and the feeling of apparating didn't help. he spit on the pavement and wiped his mouth on the sleeve of his new jacket.

there was going to be a next time? this was just the beginning.

* * *

the easter holidays had come to a close, although regulus didn't really see it as a holiday, he had done two other jobs but told bellatrix that he'd just be a lookout, as he didn't want to mess anything up. she believed him and he was able to avoid anything like that, but how long would that last?

regulus and summer made their way to the prefects carriage and summer talked and talked while it appeared like regulus was listening but in actuality he had zoned out. he hummed a few times and said a yeah here and there and that seemed to have worked because summer didn't say anything to question it. they took a seat at one of the booths, they were a minute or so late and summer apologised while regulus looked down at the table, not being able to even look at james.