Chapter 28

Ashiya's PoV:

I sat in my room reading some files from the hospital when the door of my room flew open and Ammi entered. She was dressed in a sea green salwar kameez with a grey dupatta placed neatly on her head. Her fair complexion glowed as she smiled brightly at me, showing her front teeth. My mother is beautiful.

"They're here," she beamed, "come on wear your hijab and hurry downstairs." As soon as she was out, I walked up to my balcony and peeked outside. There was a black Mercedes parked outside and it's doors were open. Mariam Khala came out of it and greeted my over excited mother and they hugged. Ayan and Arhaan came out next and they were dressed in black and blue tee shirts each. Arhaan had his index finger pointed at Ayan and it looked like he was warning him about something. The front door of the car opened and a semi formally dressed Ahan came out. He was wearing a black shirt and black jeans. His hair was combed neatly and he had his mobile phone in his hand. He smiled at Ammi and greeted her to which Ammi placed her hand on his head and blessed him. Suddenly his eyes drifted upwards to where I stood and I ran back inside.

I WAS STANDING WITHOUT A HIJAB. Thankfully he didn't see me so I whispered a hundred Alhamdulillahs. That was close. Pulling my brown, straight and curly hair into a low bun, I quickly took out a wine coloured hijab from my cupboard and wrapped it around my head. I was wearing a white maxi dress and had light make up on my face. The dress wasn't tight but it looked good on me. I had applied kohl because according to Ammi I looked like a zombie without it. My lips were pinkinsh thanks to the new lip balm I had gotten myself few days back. Nodding at my reflection, I headed downstairs perfectly prepared for whatever waited outside.

Ahan's PoV:

She descended the stairs like a queen. Dressed in white with a wine coloured hijab around her head, she looked nothing less than an angel. She greeted all of us and took a seat next to her mother, avoiding my gaze throughout. Mom said something to her, probably a compliment, to which she smiled and her kohled eyes twinkled. Angel eyes. Somebody cleared his throat beside me and I finally looked away from her.

"Bas karo bhai nazar lagaoge kya?" Ayan whispered in my ears loud enough for Arhaan to hear who was sitting at my other side. He chuckled and I elbowed Ayan which made the ladies turn towards us.

"You three seem very quiet," Khala observed and I touched my ears which I'm sure must have been pink by now.

"We were just talking about how hungry we are, Khala," Arhaan explained to which Khala smiled.

"Then let's go and eat. I've cooked Ahan's favourite Chicken soup," She said and I saw Ashiya scrunch her nose. Before I could say thanks to Khala, Ayan interrupted.

"And for me?" He asked with a pout.

"Karele ka juice, wanna have some?" Ashiya answered with a grin on her face.

"Nahi shukriya, wo bhi tum Bhai ko pilao apne haatho se," He smirked and her grin dropped. She looked at me and then looked away, her eyes lowered. Interesting.

"Lets go," Mom said excitedly and we all followed.

.

.

.

While eating, I could feel Ashiya stealing frequent glances at me but whenever I looked at her, she looked away. Mom asked her about how her work was going on to she replied with enthusiasm and joy. There was a different shine in her eyes when she talked about it.

"I can't believe you guys have grown up and are already working to earn money," Khala said and Mom nodded.

"I know right, seems like only yesterday when you used to play with each other in the backyard." Those times seems long ago.

"Yeah, remember how we used to apply lipstick on Ayan when he was a baby ?" Arhaan asked Ashiya and we laughed, except Ayan who rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, and how he used to cry because he didn't have long hair like mine," Ashiya giggled like a toddler.

"Yes, and remember how you had once thrown mud at Bhai's white shorts because he had called you monkey?" it was Ayan's chance now and Ashiya's eyes widened as she recalled the memory.

It was during winter season, when one day, she had worn a monkey cap which made her look like one. We were in the backyard and I teased her and because of that she threw mud at me and spoiled my new white shorts. I had complained to Mom about her but all Mom did was laugh and pat my cheeks, telling me to just let it go.

"I was seven back then," Ashiya said in a bored tone.

"Eight," I corrected, "you were eight and I was eleven." She looked surprised at first but soon narrowed her eyes at me.

"Why did you call me monkey?" She questioned angrily and I suppressed a smile.

"Because you looked like one," I shrugged and everyone laughed. "And behaved too," I added which angered her more.

"You're one mean guy," she stuck out her tongue at me and I smirked at her. She's still the same.

Later on, I was sitting in the hall with Mom and Khala while Arhaan, Ayan and Ashiya were outside trying to catch fireflies. Yeah, my brothers and my crush are still kids. Khala was telling me about how Ashiya had not made a decision regarding me but she hoped for it to be positive.

"She has the right to say no," I said and the ladies looked at me. "Khala, I like your daughter and I want to marry her but only if she wants to. She's completely entitled to make decisions regarding her life and marriage is no joke. If she says no, please don't pressurise her. I promise I won't bear any grudges," I assured them and they nodded.

I know I like her and I really want to marry her but I can't make her say yes to this if she doesn't want to. I don't want to force her into anything. If she agrees, I'll be the happiest man on earth and if she says no, then I'll just have to move on. InshaAllah, everything will be good though, I hoped.