III

❝This lowly one remembers something, your majesty.❞ A maid said not moving her gaze from the floor.

❝Speak then. ❞The Empress Dowager ordered.

❝Yesterday, after the banquet, her majesty ate some sweets given by her majesty, princess Ku Xen.❞ The maid replied.

❝That's right, I ate those.❞ The Empress replied, recalling the sweets mentioned.

❝Do you remember what those sweet were? Or what they were made of?❞ Xu Yang asked the maid.

❝This lowly responds to her majesty, The Empress. The sweets are named Crystal Cake(shuǐjīng bǐng) and are made of wheat flour, starch and oil. The filling was a mixture of sugar, lard and pounded rock candy, and nuts.❞

❝I see. Your majesty, it may be that you are allergic at the nuts used in the sweet.❞ Xu Yang said looking at her majesty.

The Empress Dowager looked and Xu Yang for a long minute.

❝I'm not sure, maybe you are right, I didn't had anything before eating those. Do you know any medicine to help?❞ The Empress asks before breaking into a coughing fit.

❝Your majesty!❞Xu Yang exclaimed, rushing to quickly pat the Empress's back.

After the Empress Dowager calmed down, Xu Yang excused herself and rushed to prepare the medicine that will help the older woman.

After half and hour she finished and brought the medicine back to her highness. To Xu Yang's surprise and displeasure, Zhang Wan was there too. She really didn't need to see his face, but now helping the Empress was number one priority. If she can make her majesty like her, she could win this easier.

❝Oh, Xu Yang is back. Did you make the medicine?❞ The Empress asked, a hopeful smile appearing on her face.

❝Yes, your majesty. This daughter-in-law made the medicine❞Xu Yang replied, pointing with her eyes at the bowl in Ji An hands.

Empress Dowager held her hand for the bowl when Zhang Wan suddenly stood up.

❝Are you trying to poison my mother?❞He harshly accused,his eyes narrow.

Xu Yang scoffed silently.

❝What are you saying, son? Xu Yang is a good woman!❞The Empress Dowager raised her voice, act that caused her to cough again.

❝Mother!❞The Emperor called, rushing to his mother's side.

The Empress Dowager gasped for air, her eyes falling on her son.

Xu Yang took the bowl in her hands and sat on the edge of the bed. Her eyes locked with Zhang Wan's as she took a sip of the medicine to prove that it wasn't poisoned.

❝See?You accused her for nothing, son.You better apologize. ❞The Empress Dowager spoke as she took the bowl and drank the medicine. 

The Emperor frowned deeply at his mother's words.After the Empress finished the medicine, she relaxed.

❝My body isn't inching anymore, what a relief. Thank you, child, I'm grateful. ❞

❝I'm happy to be of help, your majesty.Your majesty must take the medicine again tonight and the problem will be solved. ❞Replied Xu Yang with a smile.

❝Tell me, Xu Yang, will the spots on my face dissappear as well?❞ The Empress asked worried that her beautiful face may never recover.

The Empress loved to keep her skin and body beautiful and clear even now. Xu Yang smiled.

❝Yes, your majesty, the spots will also disappear. Please take care from now at the nuts your majesty consumes.❞

❝Yes, yes, I will take care from on. Servants, bring here my jewelry for the Empress to chose as reward. ❞The Empress Dowager comands as she gets up.

❝Mother, you should stay in bed still.❞ The Emperor finally spoke.

❝No, this mother already feels better. The medicine helped, what would have I done without Xu Yang here?❞

The Empress Dowager press her hands on Xu Yang's hand smiling.

The maid comes back with a box full of jewelry.

❝Choose what your heart desires and before you try to decline my offer, know that I don't take no as response.❞ The older woman said laughing.

Xu Yang laughed lightly.

❝Then this daughter-in-law will take this hairpin. ❞

Xu Yang said taking a golden Phoenix hairpin. So beautiful and elegant.

❝That's a good choice, you have good eyes. That hairpin was given by my mother as a present on my 15th birthday.❞ The Empress said smiling

Xu Yang gasped and rushed to kneel before the Empress.

❝This daughter-in-law does not dare take something so precious, please punish this daughter for taking the hairpin.❞

Xu Yang didn't liked this kind of humility, but it was necessary to satisfy her majesty. Empress Dowager immediately helped Xu Yang up laughing.

❝Oh oh, what is this Empress going to do with such a good daughter-in-law? You're too polite, Xu Yang. I told you to pick what you want, didn't I? So take the hairpin, you good child.❞

Xu Yang took the hairpin from the Empress's hand and bowed thanking her.

❝Go back now, I made you worry and even make medicine for this Empress. Rest for the rest of the day.❞ The Empress Dowager said smiling once again.

❝Yes, this daughter-in-law will leave first.❞

Xu Yang bowed in front of the Empress Dowager and Emperor and left back to her chambers when she heard her name being called. She stopped in her track and turned around to see the Emperor walk towards her.

❝What are you trying to do?❞He asked in a cold tone, his eyes piercing through her.

Xu Yang looked him in the eyes with an equally cold stare.
The Emperor's eyes widen for a second before going back to their neutral gaze.

❝I don't understand, your majesty. ❞Xu Yang replied calmly.

❝Do you think that getting under my mother's skin is going to change anything?❞The Emperor questioned again.

❝I just did what I had to do.❞Xu Yang replied.

❝Ha. How did you even knew that to give her, huh? Did you poison her food yesterday?❞

❝It seems that your majesty loves to accuse me of things. To answer your question, I was just lucky to guess it was an allergy.❞

The Emperor scoffed at the comment and walked past her.

Xu Yang went back to her chambers as well. Inside, appeared a man that showed her immediately her father's sigil.

❝You are the guard my father send?❞ Xu Yang asked the young man.

❝Yes, your highness. Jiang Meng is my name. ❞ He replied,his head held low.

❝I will have some important secret bussines for you to handle without telling anyone. Not even my father, can you do it? she asks looking at his young and handsome face.

❝Yes, your majesty. This lowly will serve your majesty from now on. ❞

❝Good. Do good and you will be rewarded generously. ❞

Xu Yang smiled and went in her bed thinking about how to start her plan. Night approached and Xu Yang called her guard.

❝Yes, your majesty?❞

❝I want you to investigate Wei Zan a little. Where he often goes, with who...❞Xu Yang said looking at her guard.

❝Yes, this servant will leave now.❞

She nods and the man left, looking more like he vanished.