Chapter Eight

Anna had taken a sick day off work the following day so she could come with me to the cottage. We had driven up in her car, and at my request, avoided conversation about what I was about to do. I needed the distraction to try and calm my nerves.

As we walked into the living room, Anna lingered near the sofas, her eyes focused on the cottage painting above the fireplace.

"So is that why you haven't cleaned it? Because you were afraid if you touched it again, you would end up back in 1869?"

"That's right," I replied, throwing my handbag on the sofa. "And it's driving me crazy, too. Sitting up there all dusty and spiderwebby."

She laughed. "Spiderwebby? You should have just asked me, Tills. I would've cleaned it for you."

"And risk you going back in time? No way." As she stepped closer towards it, I instinctively gasped. "Don't touch it!"

After turning her head, she raised an eyebrow at me, then laughed again. "Relax, will you? I'm just taking a closer look." She turned back towards the painting. "So do you think it can transport other people through time or are you the only lucky one?"

"Well, my mum touched it and she stayed put. And Mr. Valentine and Robbie touched it, and they didn't disappear from my sight. And come to think of it, Nicholas would have touched it a million times while he was painting it."

"Mmhm," Anna said, rubbing her chin in contemplation. "It seems strange only you can go through it, don't you think?"

I narrowed my eyes at her, knowing what she was getting at. "Anna, why did you suggest we come up here?"

"So you can go back through the painting and save Nicholas."

"And do you really believe I'm going to go through that painting?" I asked, crossing my arms.

It took her a moment to answer. "No, I don't. I believe I will watch you reach up and touch that painting, and nothing will happen. But I want to be here when that happens and then you realise how ridiculous this story is. And that's all it is, Tilly. A story. You're a writer and you've made up this story in your head and you have somehow come to believe it is real."

"Wow."

"I know I'm being harsh, but it's only because I love you like a sister, Tills. I can't let you go on believing this is real."

"And what will you do if I really do vanish before your eyes through that painting?"

She sighed and gave her answer some thought. "When you return I will apologise profusely and believe you 100%. Oh, and I want to hear all the goss about you and Nicholas." She smiled at me.

I moved closer to her and took her hand. "When I go through, I'm not sure what you'll witness. It's extremely painful for me, so if you see me in pain or hear me cry out, don't panic and don't try to stop me. Just let it take me, okay?"

After she nodded in agreement, I surprised her by wrapping my arms around her, squeezing her tight. I was a little hurt when she didn't hug me back, but to her, this wasn't a goodbye. She believed I wasn't going anywhere.

After I had pulled away, I turned towards the fireplace and took in a deep breath. I had never been so scared or nervous about anything in my life, but I was excited to see Nicholas again, and I tried my hardest to focus on that.

Would he be happy to see me or angry that I went back? When would I go back? Would Nicholas even be there or would I arrive too late? Would it all be for nothing?

I could feel Anna's eyes on me, waiting for me to do something.

"You okay, Tills? Are you having second thoughts?"