39 | Arya

She isn't talking and is giving me that fake smile again

She isn't talking and is giving me that fake smile again. Since the morning and I can't even bare to see it anymore.

I thought Zane was going to fix this sooner? They barely have been together for few days and she is already looking so solemn? If I ask her, she will just laugh it off and say that work is stressing her and that I am thinking too much.

But just to make sure, I ask.

"Elvira what's wrong?" She looks up from the papers she is reading and smiles. A glow doesn't appear in her eyes and her face looks like it is having a hard time keeping the smile on there.

"Nothing. Just the work taking a toll on me, you are worrying too much," she waves a dismissive hand but I think she forgot who she is talking to.

"What did he do?" Her head snaps up and it becomes clearer. The rim around her eyes has a faint red tone to it meaning only one thing. She didn't tell anyone again and suffered alone. She always does this and it makes me angry but at the same time I understand.

"Elvira. You know you can tell me anything right? I'm here and I'm here to stay." I tell her carefully, placing my hand on hers on top of the table in hopes of comforting her. She sucks her lips in to stop the tears from spilling out.

Her face drops making me quickly rush around the table and hug her.

"I don't know what I did Arya." She whispers through the silent tears she is spilling. Rage fills me at seeing tears in her eyes again.

"You didn't do anything. Tell me. Tell me what he did." I push further, she backs away from me before dropping in the chair with a sigh, wiping her tears.

"He told me that it was just a game. He was standing there with Veronica in his arms and she told me that Zane wanted to be with me so he could get her jealous and then realised he still loved her. But I just.... why? Why did he lie? Doesn't he know that I had already been used enough already that he decided to show me how much more I can be broken?" I can barely hear her but it breaks my heart seeing she thinks like this.

"No. This can't be it right? You were smiling and laughing just few days ago." I question not understanding this. It doesn't make sense.

"I think so too but what could she have against him that made him like this? I don't get it. I don't want to accept anything until I am sure." I nod, proud of her for not jumping to too many conclusions.

"Is it something with your parents? Can you think of anything?" I ask sitting back down. She frowns, looking around trying to think if there is something that could lead us to some clue.

"No. I just... I can't even think Arya. I keep thinking of them being together and it just... hurts. Whether it's true or not, it hurts. It just shows how easily she managed to break us apart. She warned me but I didn't listen, trusting Zane but I am so lost." A tired sigh leaves her lips as she closes her eyes.