Chapter 11: Nightmares

"Bit by bit, torn apart, we never win, but the battle wages on for toy soldiers," Like Toy Soldiers by Eminem

A man with bulging veins and biceps the size of my head turned from the bench in front of me. He settled, facing towards Evelyn. With a wink to her, he dropped his elbows against his hairy, naked legs not caring that he was giving both of us an eye full. My eyes rolled up to Evelyn's face. I'd seen enough naked men in the past ten minutes to last a lifetime.

"An independent?" he asked.

The subtle clenching of her jaw made my eyes widen and I thought she wouldn't answer at first. When she did, the uneasy feeling coated me like tar. I didn't know what was scarier: her jaw clench or the placating pleasant look in her eyes.

"An independent is someone that has extra privileges. Having the strength to survive and remain unclaimed for a week deserves recognition here. You'll get your own cell, extra food, and after three weeks you'll be able to choose your own people."

The bulking man flexed his arms. His green eyes sparking at the new information and he turned his crooked nose up. He ran a hand through his disheveled black hair and offered me a confident smile. "I'll be an independent. I won't be anyone's bitch," he said and his brown eyes shifted towards me. "You're a little too skinny, but stick with me, Sweetheart. I'll be gentle with you."

I didn't have time to be disgusted. Didn't he feel the shift in the air? Didn't he see Evelyn's shoulders straighten or the truth behind that gentle tilt to her lips? Something was wrong and he needed to shut-up.

"Really? Do you think so?" Evelyn tilted her head, a mischievous smile tugging on her lips. She said nothing else as she walked towards the front of the room and another male guard - the one in the furthest corner of the room - walked towards us.

"Vacate," he demanded, sounding more robot than human.

I tripped over the skirt I'd been scrambling to put on. My knee jammed into the smooth concrete and my eyes watered. The guard didn't even flinch at my fall.

"Vacate," he said again, never looking at me once. His eyes remained dead as he stared at the wall.

"Are you talking to me?" I asked, pulling myself up.