Chapter Ten

"So, Master Bruce," Alfred said from his spot at the end of the table. "Would you mind explaining what has occurred to cause you to miss Master Duke's training?" 

Bruce gave an awkward laugh, looking at his many children and silently begging them to help him out here. They just looked at him with amusement. 

Kids. Fucking kids. Why did he have to have so many kids? 

"Well, I don't know why dad didn't contact you," Jason spoke up, "but the rest of us were dealing with the aftermath of Tim's appearance."

Hey, look, dad! A bus! *Shove!!*

Bruce rubbed between his eyes and sighed. Have kids, they said! It'll be fun, they said!

"I apologize, Alfred, Duke. I didn't mean to worry you. I was... preoccupied with trying my best to get to my children and figure out what was wrong." 

Jason snorted. I'm glad you find my suffering so amusing, son, really

"Um... Thank, I guess?" Duke said. 

"Very well, Master Bruce. Thank you for apologizing. Since the situation was so dire, I will forgive you, however, I trust you will not repeat your actions a second time."

"I promise." Bruce said with a serious nod,  before he allowed his lips to turn upwards into a smirk. 

Steph, Jason, and Dick all laughed, whilst Duke glanced confusedly at an amused Barbara, who just shook her head with a small smile. 

"Now," Alfred said, "What exactly happened tonight, and where is the boy who caused it?" 

The mood of the room sobered up immediately. 

"I think Steph and Babs should explain this one. They're the ones that didn't tell anybody anything important." Jason hissed, a look of hurt on his face as he turned to look at the two girls. 

Steph glanced down, guilt in her eyes, as Babs cleared her throat with a steely expression.

"What did you want me to do, Jason? You were still recovering from Ethiopia and none of you were ready to welcome someone from another universe claiming she was Robin. You would have thought you were replaced. Not to mention what would happen if any villain found out that you can travel between universes. And we all know that Bruce wouldn't trust her at all. Besides, Steph didn't want you to know. You guys know I won't say something unless it's dire, if someone asked me not too. You can't fault her for not telling if you all have secrets you're keeping from each other that I know about. Would you trust me so much if I went spilling secrets?" 

The table was silent as everyone watched Babs rant. She looked them each in the eye and shook her head. "No. You wouldn't. I did what I felt was best. You shouldn't be mad at me about that." 

Jason frowned, deep in thought. "I thought..." he swallowed thickly. "I think of you guys as sisters, and I trust you so much. I thought you didn't trust me." 

Steph shook her head roughly. "No, no Jason it wasn't that. You have to understand, the batfamily in my universe, they aren't the same. Dick and Bruce from there didn't trust me. At all. Tim and Cass were the only ones who wanted me. I couldn't go through that again. I couldn't. Please, Jason, I'm sorry." at this point, tears were filling in Steph's eyes, the stress of the day finally getting to her. 

Jason stood and went over to stand by Steph, holding his arms open in invitation. Steph sobbed over a smile, throwing her arms around his neck and crying into his shoulder. 

They broke apart and Jason gave her a mischievous smirk. "So, Tim, huh? I don't have to beat him up, will I? He never hurt you?"

Steph blushed, stammering out a, "Shut up, Jay. No he'd never hurt me."

They sat back down, this time beside each other, and looked back at their family. 

"What?" Jason asked when he caught Dick's grin.

"Nothing, nothing." Dick said with a wide smile. Jason narrowed his eyes, but said nothing.

Duke slowly raised his hand, "Um, who's Tim? And what do you mean Stephen's from another universe?" 

Dick blinked. "Oh, did we not... Tell you about that?" 

The "are-you-serious" look on Duke's face said it all. 

And so, taking turns, they all explained what happened at the Mountain. 

--------------

Where was Damian? Was he even alive? And if he was, why didn't Talia send him to Bruce? What changed?

--------------

"Holy shit!" Duke exclaimed, before throwing his hands over his mouth, a look of horror in his comically large eyes. 

"Master Duke!" Alfred, looking affronted, said. 

"Oh gosh! I'm so sorry, Alfred. I didn't mean too, I swear! I was just surprised!!" Duke hurried to say, his voice cracking. 

Alfred looked a little amused, nodding once. "Very well, Master Duke, just do not do it again. Master Jason, that'll be one dollar in the swear jar." 

"Wha-! But I didn't say it!" Jason argued. 

"Quite right, but who else would Master Duke learn it from?" 

Steph giggled, hiding her smile behind her hand when Jason sent a mock glare her way. 

"That's fair." he conceded, digging out a dollar in coins from his pockets and walking over to put it in the jar. 

"So, in your world-" Dick started, pointing at Steph, "Tim was the third Robin, You were the fourth Robin for a couple of months, then you died, and now Tim's died? I got all the facts right?" 

Steph nodded. "Yep." she said, popping the 'P'. 

"So what does this mean," Duke asked, "You know, for the family?" 

Everyone looked over at Bruce, all awaiting his answer. 

"It means," Bruce said slowly, "if Tim agrees, that we'll be welcoming a new Wayne into the family."

Cheers broke out around the table. 

...........

The next morning, everyone walked into the kitchen to see Tim waiting with his arms crossed, a serious look on his face. 

"I did some research." he said, nodding toward an open computer on the counter. "And I'll breaking for a few months." 

"What? You just got here!" Steph argued. 

Tim looked over at her, his gaze softening ever so slightly. "I know. I'm sorry, I promise I'll make it up to you." 

"What will you be doing?" Bruce questioned. 

Tim smirked. "I'll be bringing your son home."

...

🄴🄽🄳 🄾🄵 🄿🄰🅁🅃 🄾🄽🄴