sixty-two

"I told you that those motherfuckers were not to be trusted," I shout to Ryan as he sits on the couch looking at me with his mouth ajar after me telling him everything I heard the night before at the math department's event

I couldn't believe Joseph and Jonah, if you could even call him that, actually pulled the wool over our eyes this entire time. Well actually, I was always suspicious, I just didn't have proof.

I swore up and down for weeks that Joseph had something to do with Ryan and Justine getting shot. I was right. I knew that Maddow was weird as fuck and a glorified pedophile, trying to make a move on my girl this entire time. Something that I couldn't believe Karma could be so blind to.

The fact that Joseph sent him to my school to try and kill me wasn't that surprising. I was more surprised at the little revelation that he made last night. I know he was telling the truth because he had no reason to lie to someone who is practically a stranger to him in comparison to me.

My father slept with my Godmother. A woman other than my mother and was careless enough to have a child with her. My brother.

I had a brother.

An actual little brother.

I had been around him all this time but I had never truly known who he was to me.

When I met him he was just some kid who I thought was hilarious. I thought he was mischievous and a little rough around the edges but I gravitated towards him because he reminded me of myself. If only either of us knew just how much alike we were.

We have half of the same blood running through our veins. I never would have guessed.

Even though he wasn't the best father, he was the only consistent male figure I've had my whole life. When Joseph came along as my Godfather I was excited because it felt like I had two dads. When he left and started ignoring my dad, I didn't understand and now everything makes sense.

He was betrayed.

My dad committed the ultimate betrayal.

I spent my entire life being angry at Joseph, which I still am for obvious reasons, but I was angry that he just up and left. I thought he'd forgotten about me. Meanwhile, he was raising my little brother as his biological son.

I never had a brother, or so I thought, the only kind of brotherhood I've ever had is my friendship with Ryan and Cyrus. I established a long time ago that blood did not establish everyone as family. It wasn't just Cyrus and Ryan that taught me that. It was also the relationship between my father and Joseph.

I never would've guessed my father would have been the one to step out on my mother and sleep with another woman. My Godmother of all people.

Shit, I feel betrayed too. I missed five years of my little brother's life and had I never met Karma, and she hadn't tricked me into going to the daycare I probably wouldn't have known.