Chapter Twenty-Nine

Location: New Haven, Connecticut
Date: May 4th, 1950
Name: Eleanor Hazel Bush
Age: twenty-four

All of their belongings were packed away neatly in boxes that littered the entire living room. The moving company was scheduled to come the next day and then they would be homeward bound after Eleanor's graduation.

"Are you ready, princess?" Dale asked as Eleanor swept the kitchen. She was doing the minuscule things while Dale did the heavy lifting. It was his idea and she didn't mind one bit.

She looked around the kitchen and nodded. "Yes. I'd like to just get there and be quick," She murmured passively, but deep down she was hurt.

They were going to her parent's house to get a few things that meant the world to her. Her dream was to be happy and to have her parent's support, but her reality was harsh. It didn't hurt the way it used to, but it still hurt.

Dale took the broom and put it away. "I'm sorry, princess." He knew that she was upset and he hated it. "Remember, God fights the battle and we just have to be still." He pressed a kiss onto her cheek and held her hand firmly.

Eleanor briefly closed her eyes and squeezed Dale's hand. "I love you,"

"And I love you, my princess," Dale affirmed her and the couple made their way out of the house.

Eleanor's nerves simmered down as they pulled up to the house and her parent's car wasn't in sight.

She didn't want to hear anything about Dale being poor and outrageous assumptions about him.

She got out of the car and Dale followed.

"Did you steal this car?" She heard her father ask snarkily from the door.

It was upsetting as usual, but today it was worse. He was ostracizing himself from her life and he didn't seem to care.

Dale ignored Leroy and Eleanor walked into the house.

"Hi, Hazie," Leroy reached to hug Eleanor, but she stepped away.

"I need to get my things," She said with a short tone and walked to her old bedroom. She didn't want to resent her father, but unfortunately, she did.

Leroy followed Eleanor and stood at her door. "Why?" He asked confused.

Dale walked into the room and Eleanor handed him her box of childhood photos and knick-knacks.

"We're leaving for California in two days," She said dismissively as she looked in her closet.

Leroy's heart dropped. He thought that he had a month left with her, and now this was happening. "Hazie," He took a deep breath and walked into the closet with her. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have been so rude and brash. I promised that I would be better, but I haven't been. My behavior has kept us apart and I'm sorry," He loved his daughter, but hate blinded him.

The clothes that Eleanor held fell to the floor and she hugged her father tightly. It was an abrupt change, but she didn't care. Never in her life did she imagine feeling disdain for her father, it all seemed like a bad dream. But now things would get better.

"I forgive you, dad. And I love you," She said while fighting back tears. She didn't want to cry today.

Dale was shocked at Leroy's actions, but he was glad. Eleanor was grieved by his actions and now she would be happier.

Leroy pulled away from Eleanor and turned to Dale who was standing next to Eleanor's bed.

"Dale, I know that I've said a lot. Even earlier I said something foolish and immature. I won't change overnight, but I am sorry. I won't talk about you anymore," Leroy held his hand out for Dale to shake. A peace offering.