Chapter 13

I've been on shift at Stan's Brewery for about two hours now, standing behind the cash register as I made fortune tellers out of old receipts. It's been a slow Wednesday night, not too many people stopping by today.

After Jace's breakdown last night, we've been talking to each other like normal again. He was able to open up to me on how he truly felt, and I've been able to help him get through what he's going through.

I easily cleaned up his knuckles last night, using ice to help with the swelling and peroxide to disinfect it. I also applied a small amount vaseline to speed up the healing process. The blood was dry so it was easy to wipe away with a wet rag, but his knuckles were still slightly bruised and his fingers had a few cuts on them.

As of right now, the holes in Jaces wall were hidden behind a large picture frame we found in a storage closet. We couldn't afford to fix it, so we were waiting until I earned more money to get the materials needed for it. The holes in his wall were not a priority right now because we were still struggling to afford food.

I was drawing on the back of my hand with a black pen, drawing a small flower, and shading it to give the petals more detail. I was working on the stem when I was interrupted by the small bell ringing above the door, revealing someone had just walked in.

I set the pen down and lifted my gaze up to see Karson standing there, studying the coffee shop. My mouth went dry and I groaned, not wanting to talk to anyone, let alone Karson.

His eyes found mine and a look of anger flashed across his face when he realized it was me. He strode up to where I was standing, his hands against the counter as he slightly leaned forward. I wasn't affected with his attempt in trying to frighten me.

"What do you want?" I met his eyes before studying his appearance. He was wearing a fitted white tee that hugged his body perfectly, enhancing his muscles. His tattoos were on display, the dark ink covering every inch of his biceps. I looked up and caught his emerald eyes staring at me with a look of disgust hidden behind them.

"I'll just have a medium coffee, black," he pushed his body back and crossed his broad arms over the other. I quickly typed it in the system and told him how much he had to pay.

He quickly gave me cash and stared at me with a glint curiosity in his eyes. He looked me up and down before connecting our gaze once more.

"You can leave now. We'll bring your coffee to you," he didn't answer, he just continued to stare. "Why do you keep staring at me? Run along Ryder."

"Princess, that's no way to talk to your customer," he stated, a sly smirk pulling at the corner of his mouth.

I grit my teeth. "Just move please. I have more orders to take."

He glanced behind him, his eyebrows furrowing in amusement when he realized there was no one standing behind him. "You sure about that?"

"Yes I am. My dead dad comes here everyday to order," I responded sarcastically, trying to get him to stop talking to me. My eyes held a bored expression, but on the inside, rage was pulsing through my veins.

"Dead dad? That explains a lot. No wonder you act like this," he muttered, choking out a small laugh.

I snapped my head up to him, fury welling up in my chest. I could feel myself get riled up as he spoke about my dad. I kept my head held high, not wanting to give him the satisfaction of how much his words affected me.

"You know what Karson? Why don't you go outside and take a smoke like the pussy you are? Or maybe go fuck a few girls because that's all your good for, just a good fuck," I trembled with rage, my hands shaking beneath me as adrenaline coursed through my blood.