Nijimura Shūzō's Birthday (July 10)

This made me realize how little Nijimura appears in the story... I wish he had more screen-time 😔

***

Akashi: Hello, Nijimura-san. I apologize for the sudden message. Happy birthday. I hope you've been well.

Shūzō: Oh hey, Akashi. Thanks, I've been good
Shūzō: You know, I was texting Akatsuki just now, too

Akashi: I'm glad to hear that. Yes, she's very meticulous with birthdays.

Shūzō: I take it you two are still together then? 

Akashi: Yes. We attend high school in different regions now, but we've been together for almost three years. We're making the long-distance relationship work.

Shūzō: Yeah, so I've heard. Miyagi and Kyoto, right? Must be tough to be apart like that. But guess it shows how much you like each other. It's nostalgic to remember when you two started dating in Teikō haha

Akashi: It has its hardships. How have you been, Nijimura-san?

Shūzō: Hmm, it's been alright here in California, and I still play ball sometimes. Heard you lot had some drama these past couple of years though, huh?

Akashi: Our Winter Cup last year was a very interesting tournament, although Ai didn't participate in it. Kuroko and his team from Seirin won.

Shūzō: Impressive.
Shūzō: Yeah, I heard she switched sports. That was a surprise; she was so diligent with basketball, I thought she'd stick with it

Akashi: Ai tells me she enjoys it at Karasuno High School. I think it was advantageous that she wasn't involved in the Winter Cup.

Shūzō: Oh? I think I'll watch those matches to see what you mean. I'm sure you'll do this without saying, but keep treating her well, got it?

Akashi: Yes, sir.

.

2 Hours Ago

Akatsuki: Hello, Nijimura-senpai. I hope you have a wonderful birthday and year ahead.

Shūzō: Hey, Akatsuki. Thanks. Been a while since we last talked, huh? What's new with you?

Akatsuki: Yes, it has. I didn't tell you last year, but I'm a manager for the volleyball club at Karasuno High School in Miyagi. I'm also in the sadō club.

Shūzō: Volleyball? Basketball not your thing anymore?

Akatsuki: Not at all, I'm still very interested in it. I haven't quit basketball, but I decided to start something new in high school. The basketball club at Karasuno wasn't as entertaining as our club in middle school.

Shūzō: Haha, I bet. The Generation of Miracles.. You won't find a team like that just about anywhere

Akatsuki: And you, senpai? Do you still play basketball?

Shūzō: I play street basketball with friends here, but I don't devote as much time to it

Akatsuki: I understand. I hope we get a chance to all play again one day.

Shūzō: Same here. Good luck with your new clubs

Akatsuki: Thank you, Nijimura-senpai. Happy birthday.

***

Has Nijimura's father always been ill? (Like, since childhood?)
Is it terminal?

Total Word Count: 479