| 36 | abasourdi

A N A Y A

A N A Y A

ONE YEAR AGO

Not even the heavy raindrops could bring me back to life.

That day, the clouds and I had one thing in common based on our inability to suppress tears.

Silence reigned leaving only the sound of rain pattering the window to dominate the background noise.

My stomach churned as it begged for replenishment.

But I refused to get up.

My whole body was disconnected from me as the world seemed inhabitable.

What was the purpose of living if every day was a painful reminder I would never be able to see her again?

In a fetus position, I bawled my eyes out on the bed until I had no tears left to cry.

Minutes turned to hours before the full moon acquainted with the clouds.

The atmosphere in the room darkened as the only source of light derived from the sky.

I desperately needed this nightmare to end.

Everyone hated me.

My parents couldn't even look at me.

Devin ensured to steer clear from me.

I didn't blame them for hating me.

Because I hated myself for failing her as a sister.

During the past two months, it's as if bits of the incident gradually came back to me.

The doctor confirmed my brain had repressed some of the pivotal sequences of that night as a defensive mechanism to avoid reliving the traumatic event.

Hence, my distorted memories weren't sufficient enough to progress the police's investigation.

But one thing was certain.

I was going to find whoever the perpetrator was.

For there came a price for the life he took.

And it was found in the pits of hell.

As the silent tears cascaded, it's then my mind wandered to the one person whom I'd buried in the darkest corners of my mind for years.

Ludovic.

It's amazing how the many past attempts to erase him from my memory were futile.

For there was a void within that only he could fill.

Without thinking straight, I forced my body to move.

And for the first time that day, my feet dragged me to my desk.