Rather Chew Off My Arm

We stood there staring at each other neither one of us wanting to give in to the other. I mean sure was it a bit childish? Definitely, but when I’m dealing with someone whose so damn incorrigible how else was I supposed to respond. 

He’s a freaking man-child, I growl in my mind as I stare up into his eyes trying to ignore the butterflies erupting in my stomach. I blame them on the mate’s pull not on my actual feelings towards this man. He is the last man on earth I could imagine being with, if I was being given a choice. Which of course I wasn’t being given a choice. I open my mouth to give him some more of my thoughts on him but there came a knock on the door effectively bringing our staring contest to an end. 

“Come in.” He barks taking a couple steps back from me. 

I heard the door open, “Sorry alpha, I didn’t mean to interrupt—“ 

“You weren’t interrupting anything.” I respond for him which makes his eyes spark with anger for a moment but he doesn’t say anything. I look towards the door to see a young girl about fifteen. She seemed rather timid and I could tell by the way she kept her eyes focused on the ground that she must be one of the low ranks wolves in the pack. She peeked up a little bit in my direction with curiosity and I couldn’t blame her. I mean it’s clear that I’m an outsider. 

“What do you want Lacey?” Noah asks with a stern voice. I look towards him with a frown. He really needs to work on his social skills. I look back to Lacey and smile at her warmly mostly to piss him off I correct his question, “I think what he means is, what can he help you with?” I can feel Noah’s hot gaze boring holes through the side of my face but I keep my smile intact and pretend like I don’t notice him. 

Lacey looks up now and focuses her eyes on me with shock and curiosity. I suppose it probably isn’t everyday that someone corrects the alpha. That is probably half of his problem. I wait patiently for her to say something raising my eyebrows a bit. As if coming back into herself she blushed brightly, “Oh—sorry—right, Murphy told me that alpha Harvey called and said he was going to be stopping by today. I was wondering if you would like us to prepare a welcoming dinner for him and his Luna…” 

Noah mumbled under his breath for a moment clearly annoyed by the situation, “Yes, yes…you and the other girls should prepare something.” I look to him as he pinches the bridge of his nose in frustration. I sigh looking back to Lacey. She bows her head and doesn’t say anything more as she takes her leave of the room looking back at me one last time before she disappeared closing the door behind her. 

“Damn it!” Noah curses loudly once the door is closed, “This is terrible timing…” He makes his way back around his desk taking a seat in his chair. 

We should comfort our mate. My wolf pushes forward in my mind. 

I don’t think he would appreciate that right now. Especially from us after everything I just said and did. I comment back warily as I sit back down in my seat and watch Noah as he massages his temples. 

You did this. You fix it. She growls at me. I sigh heavily at her comment and the fact that I am even stuck in this position. If only I had kept on driving then maybe none of this would have ever happened. 

It’s his fault! He’s the one that acted like a possessive ass. I throw back finding my earlier resolution. She growled back at me saying nothing more but she was nice enough to allow me to feel extreme guilt over my earlier words to him. Thank you mate bond. Not! 

“Is there anything I can do to help you?” I ask through clenched teeth. 

He looks up towards me with a bit of surprise at my question and then his eyes become darker as he inspects me, “Can I trust you? Or is this some kind of trick in your attempt to undermine me?” I can’t say that I blamed him for that question but it still stung a little. 

I swallowed, “Look, you made it clear that you don’t plan on letting me go anytime soon—“ He interrupted me with a slight growl, “Ever. I don’t plan on letting you go ever.”  I rolled my eyes.

“Roll your eyes at me one more time Scarlett and your backside will be extremely sore.” His eyes darkened and I felt a shiver race down my spine at the sound of my name coming from his lips and the promise of his threat. I could tell that he wasn’t kidding. Hell, I’m pretty sure he never kidded anyone a day in his life. 

I straightened up in my seat, “Since you plan on keeping me here for the unforeseeable future.” I pause to make sure I hadn’t pissed him off any further but when he remained silent I continued, “I think it would probably be a good idea to make myself useful to you and your pack. I don’t want to be a resource sucker.” I justify my willingness to help with that thought instead of the true source. Noah folds his hands together in front of his face and leans his chin into them keeping his eyes on me.

I thought we were going to have another stare off but Noah finally looked away from me, “Fine. You may help Lacey in the kitchen. I will send someone to collect you before dinner and help you make yourself more presentable for my guests. I don’t want anyone thinking I can’t take care of what is mine.”  His words made me look down at myself and I blushed realizing that I probably did look a mess. I hadn’t showered or slept properly in a couple days. 

“You may go— We’re done here.“ He dismisses me as if I’m some common wolf in his pack.

How dare our mate treat us like that! My wolf growls and her growl erupts out of me. I cover my mouth quickly my eyes widening in surprise. Noah looks to me with a surprised expression as well, "Is there a problem?" He questions waiting for me to challenge him again. I clear my throat, “Sorry—I—uh had something in my throat…” I clear it again trying to cover up. 

Will you kindly refrain from that in the future? I growl at her in my head while I smile nervously as I get up out of the chair. 

He was treating us disrespectfully, as a Luna and his mate! She paces back in forth in my mind which makes my skin itch because she really wants me to let her out and give our mate a piece of her mind or in her case a swift bite on the ass. 

Look I don’t care—I don’t care if he treats us like a mate or not because I don’t want another mate—Ever! EVER again… I shout to her in my mind as I make my way to the door and my tiny bit of freedom. 

I want our mate! She snaps at me before she cuts herself off from me. Great now I’m going to have a sulky wolf to deal with later and it’s all HIS fault. I open the door and go to take a step out, “Don’t mess up this chance I am giving you Scarlett. Show me I can trust you and you will have all the freedom that you desire but if you don’t—Then you will find yourself chained to my side at all times.” His warning makes me frown. I look back over my shoulder at him, “Trust me I would rather chew off my own arm then be chained to you mate.” I  say mockingly as I step out of the room and slam the door shut behind me. 

Shoot, which way is the damn kitchen?