ch.18

chapter eighteen  - a good guy

0:35 ━❍──────── -3:18
↻ ⊲ Ⅱ ⊳ ↺
VOLUME: ▁▂▃▄▅▆▇ 100%

unedited

"Hey this is Renjun! Leave a message after the beep and i'll get back to you as soon as I can," This was the fifth time she's heard the same two sentences.

Aeri paced back and forth in a random office she stumbled upon in Jisung's home. It's been a few hours since they've finished off the shoot, and the group had decided to gather back at Jisung's to host a little celebratory barbecue.

They weren't able to praise themselves for passing the initial stage due to the hectic planning and process of filming for their first mission, but after a long day, this type of thing was essential.

The dark haired female could hear the joyous laughter and endless teasing of the boys in the backyard. They hollered loudly into the early evening, not once caring for their friend's neighbors.

The only thing on their minds at the moment was letting loose and rewarding themselves rightfully.

But Aeri didn't bother focusing on the same things as them.

She had bigger matters at hand.

Beep.

"Hey, Renjun, I'm sorry for calling and texting so much, but please I really just want to know if you're okay. If you need more time and space, I'll give you that. And I know you don't owe me anything, but I'm just worried. Okay, I'll stop annoying you, bye, love you," She muttered, her hold on her device tightened.

"You should stop calling him," A deep voice broke out from the doorframe— drawing the female's eyes to the figure. "And I'm only here because Donghyuck told me to make sure you're not still hung up on the situation, but it looks like you are,"

"Don't tell me what to do when you're the root of this, and I don't need you to be here to tell me that" She hissed, promptly ending the call as she turned to face him. Her hazel orbs hadn't faltered but only intensified as it met his hooded gaze.

Once again he had an unreadable expression, like a closed book, making her wonder if she ever truly knew him.

"How am I at fault? I only did what I was told to do," Jisung gritted his teeth, his attempts at making peace with the woman going south as her hands clenched at her sides.

Aeri let out a sigh of frustration and rolled her eyes.

She couldn't fathom what he was thinking. She spoke with a bite in her tone. "You didn't have to deepen the kiss or you should've pushed me away if you saw him enter the set,"

"We had to make it look real," He emphasized on the last bit, "—and if I pushed you away the scene would've been ruined, others on set could have made rumors which would potentially prevent our careers from ever taking off and we would only have to kiss again, and not to mention fully in front of your boyfriend," He countered all in one breath, hoping to prove his point in his explanation. His chest heaved up and down as he glared down at her.

Jisung expected her to say something, but she only pursed her lips, seemingly finding a bit of sense in his logic but she still refused to believe it was their only and best option.

Taking her silence as an opportunity, he decided to speak again. "And I don't mean to pry but I'm gonna do so because I've seen that look on your face before," His eyes bore holes into her head, drilling his gaze into her skin— the sensation searing, as if branding her.

She felt her entire body light ablaze, anticipating his next words. For a moment she was surprised to hear him say such things. Her eyebrows were slightly raised and her lips were parted, but as she noticed the seriousness in his tone, she recomposed herself.

In a bit huskier voice, Jisung spoke indifferently, almost as if detached from the entire subject of conversation. "I know I've treated you bad in our time, and I regret it but to see you accepting this behavior again, makes me wonder if you've ever learned to differentiate what makes a good man and what doesn't,"

Aeri couldn't help but gasp at his brute and straightforward statement. She remembered from before very vividly that Jisung wasn't a male to interfere so brazenly in personal matters, but seeing him speak so sharply— it gave off the impression that he couldn't hold back just this once.

"Just because he didn't cheat doesn't mean he's automatically a good guy, cause we both know, there are more ways to break a woman's heart than just physical things,"

The momentary shock was worn off, and Aeri found herself scoffing. "And how do you know what makes a good guy?"

"A good guy never lets his girlfriend feel that she's annoying him," Jisung knew he hit a nerve, something sensitive, and for a split second he regretted ever walking up the stairs to the office where he knew she was, hoping for her to at least coexist with him.

Honestly, Jisung was one to avoid conflicts, yet anything that included the female, added fuel to the fire.

But ever since she joined the band and arguments came more frequently in his life, he felt exhausted to say the least. He knew he was part to blame, but the woman didn't hold her words back as much as he did when the other was around.

"I know Renjun," Jisung felt his insides going hot again, seeing the brunette roll her eyes, and tsk.

"Since you want to bud into my personal life, allow me to do the same," Aeri snapped, crossing her arms firmly across her chest.

"Be my guest," He deadpanned apathetically— uninterested in his private matters.

"Why did you break up with your girlfriend? It looked like you'd never do it especially since you couldn't get your lips off hers. Got tired of her too? Was she not good enough too?" It was her turn to get under his skin, and it worked.

In irritation, Jisung stuck his tongue to the inside of his cheek, poking it out in habit. He stared down at her smaller frame. His hooded gaze raked up and down her face, searching for any clue of mockery. And there was, but not as much as genuine curiosity.

"Of course she'll never be good enough," He mumbled under his breath, but before Aeri could reply, he spoke again. "I simply got tired. I don't like people who drain me," He mused, straying away from his actual answer, infuriating the brunette more.

"Will there ever be a woman that pleases you," She challenged, unbelieving of his words.

"You tell me. Now if you could please leave me alone right now, I have to do something in my office. You're giving me a head ache," He grumbled, walking out of the door frame. Quickly, not being able to handle the suffocating atmosphere, Aeri hurried out of the room.