000 ‣ Prologue

February 1853

~

"No, no, please stop, no."

A girl, no older than 5 was thrashing around in her bed. Her long night gown stuck to her legs, a layer of sweat glistening her skin. She lay with her eyes scrunched up and head hiding in her knees, her body curled into a tight ball.

"Please no, father no."

Her lips quivered and silent tears ran down her face. Images flashed behind her closed eyes, haunting her dreams and plaguing her with nightmares.

"Why are you doing this?" She whimpered.

She clenched her hands that hung around her knees, nails digging into her flesh, leaving freshly made half moon cuts in her palms.

"NO!" Her body shot up. Panicked eyes could be seen by the shine of the moon through her window as she jerked side to side, evaluating her surroundings. Her body melted to a slump as she recognise the confinement of her bedroom. Feeling a sting from her palms she held them to the light, muffling a gasp when she saw the crimson blood that smeared her hands. She tilted her head to the ceiling, blinking away the tears that came at the sight.

The door of her room shot open to reveal a young boy, hair tussled from sleep. His eyes caught her dishevelled state and face shifted to worry. He slowly approached the foot of the bed, as to not startle her; using two fingers to lift her chin so he could see her face.

"Oh, Vivian." He sighed taking in her puffy eyes and red nose and quickly engulfed her in a hug. "I'm here."

The girl sobbed into his shoulder as he hummed to her lowly and combed his fingers through her hair that hung down to her waist.

"Another nightmare?" He asked softly, laying her down on her bed gently, with her still tucked into his arms. He felt her head nod slightly against his chest and he sighed. "Do you wish to talk about them?" Her eyes shot open and violently shook her head, mind briefly flashing to her dreams with father standing above her with a vicious smile on his face. Her hands curled tighter around the older boy's shirt.

"Would you like me to stay?" She nodded her head and detached herself from her brother's grip, skidding under the quilt. "Alright, little sister." The boy smiled a little as she pouted at the name.

"I am not much younger than you, Stef." She folded her arms and squinted her eyes at her older brother.

"You are correct, although you will always be little to me." The girl huffed in frustration, but it was slowly forgotten as she let out a small yawn. "Go to sleep little sister."

"Can you sing to me?" She asked quietly.

"Of course."