23. Trust

CHAPTER - 23

LOVE IS... TRUST

'Love is weakest when there is more doubt than trust but love is strongest when we learn to trust despite of the doubts.'

"Is it the time that's responsible or have you always been like this?"

I raised my eyebrows at Ashton's random question, and asked, "Like what?"

His lips rose up in his typical smirk and he said, "Idiot." I rolled my eyes at him while he continued, "Uptight." I narrowed my eyes at him and he further continued, "Prude." Finally, I was shooting daggers at him.

I didn't bother replying to him. I mean, seriously, what was the use of that? Glancing at the snail's pace traffic in front, I let out a groan in frustration. "It has been more than half an hour, for God's sake. How much did we move? Hundred meters? Five hundred meters?"

He let out a deep chuckle as I not so swiftly dodged his question. "A good two - three miles," he answered. My shoulders slumped down in frustration and defeat. There was no way that I could join Mike and Ivy for dinner tonight.

"I'm so, so late," I complained as I glanced at the digital clock in his car which showed that it was forty minutes past five. Considering the speed at which this stupid traffic was moving, there was no way that I could reach Mike's place till ten at night. "This was supposed to be a short cut? You're a fool," I accused him as the irritation of being stuck in bad traffic got to me.

Surprisingly, he found my annoyance amusing as he chuckled and rested his head on the window pane by his side, looking straight at me. "Maybe I forgot about a little fact that this short cut is usually packed in the evenings," he offered, earning a death glare from me.

"You're such a jerk," I grumbled, picking up the tissue box and throwing it at him. He laughed in return, enjoying the entire ordeal way too much. I couldn't digest the fact that someone as short tempered as Ashton was all calm and composed about such a terrible traffic. But then I realized that he was getting so much rest because of this traffic, and of course, his lethargic self loved this. That was the reason of the stupid smirk on his face. "Annoying jerk," I added under my breath.

"You can get out of the car anytime and walk your way to the city if you're getting so late for your date," he mumbled, closing his eyes.

"What date?" I asked in an instant.

Apparently, everyone since Seth's wedding was talking about 'someone' being my date. And sadly, I had no idea who this 'someone' was as there was no date at all.

He opened his eyes only to roll them at me and said slowly as if talking to a five year old, "That dancing thing from your cousin's wedding; the guy who was your date on that wonderful, heartwarming occasion. Remember him?" A light chuckle escaped my lips at the sarcasm he used while saying the words 'wonderful, heartwarming occasion', but that chuckle was cut off when I realized that he was calling Mike as my date.

"Mike?" I confirmed, looking at him with wide eyes.

He snickered. "So that thing has a name?"

A little smile made its way on my lips when I realized that maybe, just maybe Ashton was jealous. A little ray of hope that maybe Ashton liked me even tad bit and that would make him kiss me again. I was becoming a pervert myself. Thanks to Ashton and his kiss. "Are you jealous?" I asked away, looking at him with playful eyes, even though my insides were anything but playful.

He mumbled in a teasing manner, "Jealous of the fact that he has a name?" I rolled my eyes him, while he continued a bit seriously, "Do you want me to be jealous?"