part seventeen

the one with a lie and an altercation.

part seventeen

Footsteps. She hears footsteps.

Faster than light, Juno closes the document. She turns the laptop back around but leaves it open, the way it was found. Then she slumps into the chair, leaning her back against it like she's been lounging like that the entire time.

"Sorry about that, dear." The woman dusts her hands off, taking her seat on the other side of the table opposite the girl. "I hope you weren't bored."

The statement is casual, but Juno doesn't miss the way Mrs. Yu's eyes slide over to the open computer and back to her. There's a hint of suspicion in the deep groove between her brows, but Juno pretends she doesn't notice. "I was in deep thought," she finally replies, which is true enough.

"Are you alright?" The woman shuts the laptop and pushes it aside. "I know you weren't personally acquainted with Mr. Yoon, but it's still normal to feel some grief-"

"Actually, it's not about that," Juno hurries to say, before adding, "but it's very sad."

"It most definitely is," the woman agrees, nothing but sympathy in her gaze. Juno can't help but feel bitter. You think it's so sad, and yet you're drafting an email to the deceased boy's parents to lie to them about how their son died?

She swallows down her disgust and pastes a solemn expression on her face. "I came to talk to you to get some advice," Juno begins. "Lately, I've been feeling... a little off."

Mrs. Yu folds her hands atop her desk. "How do you mean?"

"I don't know," she says, struggling to find the right words. "I've never felt this way before; like, I get down sometimes like everyone else, but these days... one minute I'm fine and happy and the next I don't want to do anything or see anyone." Juno realizes as she blurts out the words that they are true. Utterly and completely. And something about voicing them out loud is relieving.

The woman watches her shrewdly. "I'm sorry that you've been feeling that way, dear. When do you think this began?"

"When I got here." Juno doesn't hesitate.

"That's unfortunate," she says. "I'll tell you what: let's monitor this for a while; you can let the doctor know if the feelings escalate. In the meantime, my advice would be to surround yourself with others. I know you're new here. Making friends wouldn't hurt, right? I'm willing to bet this is mostly homesickness, which is normal when you find yourself in an entirely new place."

This isn't homesickness, I know what that feels like. Juno clenches her fists tightly under the table. Why doesn't the counselor understand that these feelings have nothing to do with how Juno feels when she's with others, but how she feels when she's alone?

Why does there have to be yet another thing that is wrong with her?

But the girl rises, trying to make sure her disappointment isn't evident on her face. "Thank you," she says, even if she doesn't really mean it.

"No problem, sweetheart. I hope you feel better soon."

Juno walks out of the office, deep in thought as she heads back to her dorm on the second floor. Part of her wants to change course and go upstairs to Mark's room, if only because she knows that he'll be able to distract her from her tumultuous thoughts. But she decides against it, remembering the stack of homework sitting atop her desk.

"Noona!"

The voice startles her, and she glances up. There, standing by her door, are Jisung and Chenle. An involuntary smile spreads across her lips as she approaches them. Chenle holds up a plastic bag. "You want company? We come bearing snacks!"