.028

Winning the war was not everything Alora hoped it would be: it is just more fighting. Battles fought and ended with useless treaties made to be broken once more, and Alora continues to stand in the center of it all alongside her princess. In the year since her conversation with her old master, she has thought about his words every day as she interacts with other founding members of the New Republic but pushes herself to ignore the feeling in her gut.

She is not made for politics, though she can fake a smile and spit some jargon. Alora is made to be the perfect guard to the princess, but Leia no longer truly needs her: Alora can feel it.

Leia sneaks away often enough that every time Alora lays eyes on her, she stays as long as she can. The days they spent walking through Alderaan are long gone, and it seems Leia no longer truly wants Alora, given the number of times Alora has had to play catch-up with her. It pains her to know that she's no longer useful.

With Luke gone on his secret mission and Han traveling all the time, Alora is all alone. This doesn't stop the anger that fills her gut when Leia and Han take an impromptu vacation halfway across the galaxy. While they may not think of her, she thinks of them.

Currently stomping over to the princess' office, Alora does her best to keep her expression neutral when she finds Leia sitting at her desk with papers surrounding her. Her nose flares as she closes the office door behind her, leaving her alone with Leia for the first time in weeks.

"Alora!" Leia grins as she stands and hugs her dear friend. "I've been meaning to come see you, I was just—"

"How was your trip?" Alora clenches her jaw.

Leia's smile falters but stays on her lips. "Wonderful. Truly. I needed it."

"Didn't think to tell me?"

"Well, I wasn't really told at first either." Alora crosses her arms with a small scoff. "Come on, Alora. Everyone's fine. I have some exciting news."

With a frown, Alora forces her shoulders to relax. "Exciting like new treaty or exciting for real? Because I will never understand how you find politics anything but horrible."

Leia laughs as she leans back against her desk, her hands clasped in front of her. Something stirs in Alora's gut as she watches the princess she grew up protecting: no longer is she a playful little girl who laughed at everything—she has become so much more than Alora could ever dream of.

"Ok, I have personal news and normal news. Which do you want first?"

"Hmm...Give me normal, then personal, then I can fill you in on what you missed." No matter how infuriating the princess is, Alora can't stay mad at her.