CHAPTER TWENTY

CHAPTER TWENTY.

As usual, Liliya couldn't sleep. But rather than the anticipation of nightmares or general insomnia, her want to see Aleksander was keeping her awake. In her head, she kept going over the conversations she could have with him. All the ways she could apologise and all the ways that he would take it. None of those apologises she had imagined took place in the middle of the night in his room yet here she was.

Her hand pressed against the door and debating whether to knock. She was only dressed in her nightgown and her hair was tied up in a loose messy bun. She was sure she looked awful, tired too but every part of her just wanted to see him. Needed to speak to him and she couldn't help herself.

Her knuckles wrapped against the door and she heard movement. The shuffling of feet and the placing down of something. She didn't know what but assumed it was likely a book. Aleksander always liked to read before bed, she had discovered. It was cute and she had found herself enjoying watching him read.

"Yes?" He asked as he opened the door. The person he had the least expected but also most expected stood on the other side. He stepped back and she sent him a soft tentative smile. The guilt twisting her up inside, "Yes?" He repeated, a coldness to his tone that she had entirely expected. She had slapped him. Hurt him. She felt idiotic.

"I wanted to apologise," She said quickly. Aleksander watched her for a moment before he nodded and stepped back, gesturing for her to come in. She stepped inside but kept close to the door which he closed to avoid them being overheard.

"Go on," He urged as he moved over to grab the book from his bedside table. He then slid it back onto his shelf and turned to face her. His hands resting at his sides.

"I'm sorry. It was never my intention to hurt you, it just... happened and I didn't know what I was thinking. I understand your annoyance," Liliya said before she stepped back towards the door. If she just left the room, she didn't have to see how he reacted. She could escape and hope that it went well without truly knowing. This wasn't how she imagined she be either but there she was, wanting to run from her conflicts. Not much had changed.

"Don't leave, milaya. Come here," He urged as he held out his hand. The redhead turned back to look at him and she walked closer to him, gently taking his hand. He then pulled her against his chest and she stumbled slightly before resting her head, listening to his heart beating. It was soft and he was completely calm, "I was not annoyed. I simply needed to think. A lot has happened," He explained as he moved his hand into her hair. His fingers gently running through her hair and she nodded. Her head tilted forward and she had to fight the urge to press a soft kiss to his bare chest. There was still the faint marks from their nights together and it made her smile to herself.

"I know," She said softly. He nodded and then ran his fingers through her hair, taking in the smell of her hair before he stepped back.

"Did you just want to apologise?" He asked. Liliya shrugged. She wasn't entirely sure what she wanted but all she knew is that she missed him. Missed him far too much for it to be normal. It was scary.