2 Blue Bikini

***

Chapter 2

***

Even with a hundred degrees outside, it's sweater weather at the office. The air conditioner is on full blast, and sipping on a cold drink easily breaks one into a shiver.

Technically, I don't have to dress corporate. It's a millennial environment where people wear glasses as a fashion statement. Even the CEO walks around in a t-shirt and sneakers.

But, when you're competing with an ex-marine who's related to your boss and takes every opportunity to belittle you, while others kiss the ground he walks on, you must overcompensate with attire.

So I'm driving to the Grey Goose shoot in a white button-down and hair in a boring bun. When I step into the backyard of the Beverly Hills mansion, the space is alive with production equipment and women in bikinis.

"L-Layla, what are you doing here?" One of the assistants stops dead in her tracks, eyeing my outfit.

"Just checking on things." I smile, watching her mirror it with obligation. "Where's Lucas?"

"He's filming the opener." She points to the far left side of the pool. "The camera operator sprained his ankle so he had to take over, I think they're having trouble with the model though. And they're low on time."

"I wonder why," I deadpan, walking over there.

The dumbass is standing on a small ladder, holding a camera. Beneath him is Casey, splayed on a poolside bed. Makeup artists and stylists are on standby for touch ups.

"Again," Lucas orders. "This time, I need the golden reflector bouncing in sync with Casey's head tilt."

"Yes, sir," one of them responds, shuffling to get it done.

"Casey, remember, tilt your head as you wake up, smile, then widen your eyes when you notice your environment. Three beats."

"Ok..." My friend squeaks. She's in a beautiful coral bikini with a matching wrap on her hips. Her blonde curls drape over her shoulders, with a white flower behind one ear.

"3...2...1...action!" Lucas yells, and everyone grows quiet. Casey follows his spoken choreography, before he yells again. "Cut! Casey, that was better. But you're doing everything with twice as many beats as I need. Let's keep it more simple."

"We have to move on to the next scene if we want to make it." The production manager, Erin, interjects with a tablet of the call sheet in her hand.

"No one's going to watch the middle of the video if we don't get them in the beginning. Again."

The crowd murmurs with fatigued defeat, and the only person that's unfazed is Lucas. Though his dark brown hair is drenched, white shirt stuck to his chest, arms glistening with beads of sweat, his expression is completely focused.

But when I see Casey's big, watered eyes, my teeth grit and I want to yell 'I told you' at his stubborn ass.

"What's your shot list?" I ask upon approaching.

"Not now, Layla."

"Shot list."

He makes a tsk sound and snaps his head at Erin. "Give her the shot list."

Erin runs up and hands me the tablet, I scroll down to the poolside scene and scan the plan, then scoff at it. "This is not necessary."

Five heads whip in my direction, with a mixture of wanting to murder me and break down. Lucas pinches the bridge of his nose. "Cool, thanks for your thoughts. You can leave now."