Chapter 16

Chief Beifong glanced at her wrist watch before crossing her arms with a huff.
"Where is she?" She called, making the girl to her left jump.

Kuvira tapped her phone and checked to see if Korra had said anything else. She hadn't. Only the small 'I'm on my way' that was sent 10 minutes ago.
"She's coming Chief."

"You said that 10 minutes ago." Lin huffed.

Opal continued to tap away at her computer. She was searching for more evidence, anything that could possibly link Bolin to Mako. Where the hell did he get the money from? They didn't know but it was highly suspicious. Kuvira had suggested arresting him for questioning but that idea was immediately shot down by Lin. The Chief wanted them to stay undercover just incase Bolin wasn't tied to Mako at all, arresting him would blow their cover completely.

Time was ticking and Korra still wasn't there. Lin checked her watch again and the fumes of her frustration were alight.
"This is ridculous. Call her."

Kuvira sighed and obeyed the Chief's commands. She swipped open her phone and pressed on Korra's contact, calling her. It hummed and hummed until the line went dead, no answer.

Her blazer flapped up as she ran past the cubicles, hair dripping wet and her coat and scarf were soaked. But she made it... only 20 minutes late. Korra doubled over, hands on her knees as she panted.
"Sorry." She wheezed.
"I'm late."

Lin took in a breath and held it, suppressing herself from unleashing a barrage of yells towards the officer that just ran in. The older woman gestured for the three of them to follow her into her own office. Where the walls were a bit thicker so her scolding wouldn't disturb many people.

Korra and Opal were a few paces behind whilst they journeyed to the office.
"What's on your face?"

Korra looked up to her assistant, her expression riddled with confusion.
"What do you mean?"

Opal rose a brow and lifted her hand up to her boss's face. She gently swiped a finger at the faint red stain that sat on Korra's chin. It was like she had just eaten a bowl of raspberries without using her hands, scoffing it all down with only the use of her mouth. But no, it wasn't raspberries at all. Opal examined the stain that was on the tip of her finger, brows furrowed with curiosity.

Korra, however, she knew excatly what it was. It was heavily raining outside whilst she was running here and she hoped she had wiped that redness off her lips with the help of the rain, but obviously she didn't do a very good job of it.
"Korra..." Opal muttered, glancing over to her boss again.
"Is this...lipstick?"

The officer's cheeks darkened a crimson colour and she batted her assissant's hand away from her. With a swipe of her forearm, she tried to clean the stains that were still on her chin. No use.
"What are you talking about?" She asked.

"I think you know exactly what I'm talking about." Opal smirked. She moved her finger towards her boss again, pointing with her other at the red stain.
"This is her lipstick isn't it?"

Korra hit her hand away.
"Not now Opal."

"You two kissed didn't you?"

"I said not now." Korra was more afraid of Chief Beifong over hearing this. She was in trouble... lots and lots of trouble.

The office door closed and all eyes were suddenly on Korra. Chief Beifong broke the silence by slamming her hand onto her desk.
"Where were you Smith?"

Korra stood up straight, chin held high which was probably the worst possible thing she could've done. Kuvira was the next person to notice the odd red stains.
"I was gathering more intel Chief."