3 Shower

***

Chapter 3

***

So apparently their date went well.

She's trying to give me some details as we're working out at the gym, but I told her I rather get my brain smashed with a weight plate than listen to what Lucas was doing to her.

Though, surprisingly, from the disappointment in her voice, it seems like they didn't go all the way. "Wait, you actually wanted to have sex with him on the first date?" I ask in the middle of a squat set.

She's doing deadlifts next to me, her breathing erratic and face red. "Well...I wouldn't...mind..." She drops the bar on the ground to take a sip of water. "I told him, but he said it wasn't his style."

"Reverse psychology, I bet." I add more weights on the barbell before bracing my shoulders to lift.

"He's good with his mouth, though." She notes.

"Are you trying to make me vomit?"

"Kissing! I meant kissing! Not that..." She blushes while I scowl. "Ugh, I can't believe you don't find him attractive! Are you sure you're into men?"

I stare at her in the mirror. "Considering how long it's been, I'm not sure at this point."

Her eyes bulge at my confession. "You'd be interested to try with the same sex?"

"Casey, I'd be interested in making out with a stray dog, if it meant you'd stop talking about Lucas."

"Not this again. We're hanging out tomorrow, you can't just sit there and not talk to him."

"Oh, I'll talk to him, alright. I need to know what the hell he's doing trying to exploit your naive soul, and make sure he doesn't get his satanic powers over you before it's too late."

She just laughs, as if I'm kidding.

~

Casey and I became friends in high school. I was the temperamental kid who didn't want to mold and conform to anyone's idea of how a girl should behave.

People thought getting a belly piercing was slutty? I got a belly piercing just to spite them. They said spending time with boys would give me a bad name? I befriended every boy just to show I didn't care.

My dad didn't either. It's like, the harder I tried to gain his attention, the more he disconnected. So when I graduated high school, I changed tactics and became a workaholic, and ever since then, he's been recognizing me a bit more.

Casey; however, attracted attention from everyone. Her parents showered her with love and gifts on a daily basis. She was so pampered, that the moment she got thrown into a public school, she was attacked like a fluffy bunny in a pack of wolves - mean girls who wanted to squash her confidence when boys liked her.

That's when I stepped in. To protect her, make them cry, shove their heads down the toilet. And she gave me what I needed - unconditional love and acceptance. No matter how crass I acted, it's as if she knew my intentions were in the right place.

And nothing has changed. She's still naive, and I'm still willing to drag any soul to a bathroom stall to teach them not to mess with her.

Which is why, when she hosts a pretty gathering at her pretty poolside patio, I come armored and ready for battle.

Along with the devil, Casey also invited Regine and a group of our friends: Tatiana, a goofy tomboy who makes you laugh on your lowest days. Jacob, a nerdy childhood friend, head over heels in love with Casey. Vadim, a playboy who smokes weed everyday - also my ex friends with benefits. And David, a sweet Christian, who might be into me, but is absolutely not my type.