twelve

AFTER HOURS OF TRAVELING, the carriage makes a sudden stop, making Nyx glance out of the carriage. The sun was up and shining, which meant they had successfully escaped the grasp of the General for the first night. She glances at Zoya and nods towards the door of the carriage.

"Let's get going." Nyx hums as she opens the door and slips out, Zoya and David following right behind. She notices the three people who had been kind enough to take them. Now with the darkness of the night gone, she could clearly see them.

She notices the two guns on the side of the so-called Arlio and the many knives attached to Elva's clothes. Not for a second did she believe that that was their real names, they didn't seem like people who easily trusted and she could respect that. After all, she didn't trust anyone anymore. She had learned her lesson.

"Thank you very much. If there is any way I can repay you for this. Let me know." Nyx says, making Kirli frown even more. She wondered if that man had ever smiled in his life.

"Are you heading across the Fold by chance?" Kirli asks, making Nyx cross her arms over her chest and raise an eyebrow.

"And why would that matter?" Nyx asks, staying on high alert. Without their keftas, a single shot from the gun of Arlio could kill them. So they had to be prepared to defend themselves.

"We want to cross as well. But we have no means of doing so. So just like we helped you get here, can you help us get to West Ravka?" Kirli asks, making Nyx sigh and shake her head.

"We have no way of crossing. Sorry." Nyx says honestly and he raises an eyebrow.

"No matter how much you deny it, you're the Nyx Irvank. Second in command of the Second Army. I think you have many ways of crossing the Fold." He says firmly, making Nyx stiffen and Zoya straightens up next to her. "I don't know why you're here or hiding, and I do not care. All I know is that, as long as you stay out of our way, we need you to cross the Fold."

"How do I know you're not here by the orders of the Darkling? Spying on us?" Nyx snarls, making Arlio put a hand on his gun and Elva straightens up.

"Why would the Darkling spy on you? Listen, we can both benefit from this. We get to cross the Fold and you get a few more hands for safety." He suggests and she gives him a look of disbelief.

"Must I remind you that we're Grisha and I'm the right hand of the Darkling. I don't need protection. Especially not from otkazat'sya." She says firmly and he nods in understanding.

"I'm well aware. But would a few extra hands really hurt?" He asks and Nyx sighs. There were benefits to letting them come along until they got to West Ravka, it would make finding a way across a lot easier.

"Fine. But since you know who I am, I have every right to know who you really are." Nyx says pointedly.

"Of course. I'm Kaz Brekker, this is Jesper Fahey and Inej Ghafa." He reintroduces himself and Nyx nods in acceptance.

"This is Zoya and David." Nyx says nodding at her two friends and Kaz nods in acknowledgment.

"How did you know it wasn't our real names?" Inej asks, making Nyx give her a look.

"Kirli and Arlio? You can't possibly think anyone would believe those are real names? Elva was good. But the rest, questionable." Nyx says honestly and Jesper chuckles.

"Let's just say we weren't exactly prepared to have you ask for a ride." Jesper muses and she hums in acceptance.

"We have something to do before we head towards the Fold. Could we meet up here again, later tonight?" Kaz asks, making Nyx nod in agreement.

"As soon as the sun sets. We'll be back. We have a few things to do as well." Nyx says and they all nod in a silent way of saying goodbye, before parting ways. Zoya and David silently follow Nyx, until they're certain they're as far as possible from prying ears.

"They kind of scare me. I don't know if we should trust them." David says honestly and Zoya hums in agreement.

"We don't trust them. We have to stay on guard with them. I'm certain that they have something up their sleeve." Nyx muses as she looks around, searching for something.

"So what do we do? They expect us to figure something out on how to get across the Fold, but we have no clue whatsoever." Zoya points out and Nyx groans in frustration.

"I know that. But we have until sun set to figure something out." Nyx says, before stopping in front of a stand selling clothes. "For now, let's change out of these."